Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, August 1, 2011

Counting Crows - Recovering The Satellites



There are a few bands out there in which I like the idea of the band, more than the band itself. What do I mean by that? I'll try to explain. A band like Counting Crows here. When the burst on to the scene back in 1991 or so, they had this really new, unique sound when 'Mr. Jones' dropped. It was so folk rock sounding - yet upbeat and overall fun. But they showed they had range. It wasn't just a pop sensation type track, they could pull off the ballads and the cameo type tracks - they seemed so versatile. The problem with a band like that and this, is they never really have an identity then. I go back to my Crows discography, and there isn't a single record by them that I'd ever consider buying, and heck - even listening to on a regular basis. I decided to start with this album, because frankly I couldn't stand to listen to 'Mr. Jones' today, and I do really enjoy the track 'A Long December'. There is one other track by them I really enjoy - but it's on their next record. Kudos to anyone who could guess which track that is. But anyways, this album was rated fairly positively by critics all over. It has a kind of Ben Folds feel to it, a few ballads and a few upbeat tracks, mostly all with piano arrangements. Some people seem to have an issue with the lead singer being too open on the mic, and that it comes across as him being full of himself. I don't really see it, but I also don't think I care enough to listen that closely to his lyrics. I was kind of in the middle on this record, but after hearing it this morning, I think I'm leaning more negative. It's just kind of boring. It lacks the flair that I expect from the more positive albums I do. Go ahead and listen today - I'm curious what others think.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Catapult
2. Angels of the Silences
3. Daylight Fading
4. I'm Not Sleeping
5. Goodnight Elisabeth
6. Children in Bloom
7. Have You Seen Me Lately?
8. Miller's Angels
9. Another Horsedreamer's Blues
10. Recovering the Satellites
11. Monkey
12. Mercury
13. Long December, A
14. Walkaways

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. A Long December
2. Angels Of The Silences
3. Daylight Fading

FINAL RATING:
2.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment