Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise



Techno Tuesday is here again - with another dubstep style DJ. Nicolas Jaar here is an American-Chilean musician. While making music, he's also currently enrolled at Brown University studying literature. He was born in January of 1990 in New York. His parents seemed to think raising a child in New York wouldn't work - so they moved to Chile when he was two years old. Apparently not totally working out, they moved right back to the states when he was eight years old. That's literally everything I can find about this guy. I know nothing else about him, his music style or his plans to make more music in the future. This is his one and only album out, and there isn't even a Wikipedia page for it. Not totally sure how I stumbled across this guy today - but here we are. I'm navigating through the album, and I'm finding a style that I'm fairly familiar with now, and I enjoy. It's got that James Blake style feel - which I adore. I'm not sure if the fourteen tracks have the same allure as Blake's 10 - but it's not awful. There are certainly a lot of experimental type tracks here, almost where it sounds as though he's just playing around on a drum kit seeing if he can make a sound that works. Other songs are very polished and sound like they could go on any dance artists record today. I think that kind of hodgepodge of sounds is what makes this fairly captivating, but also too odd to really recommend to others. While a freak like me will probably listen to this a couple more times, I'm not sure I can pass it along in good graces. If you're a big dubstep fan, go ahead and give it a go - otherwise it might be too out there for the normal tastes.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Etre
2. Colomb
3. Sunflower
4. Too Many Kids Finding Rain in the Dust
5. Keep Me There
6. I Got a Woman
7. Problems with the Sun
8. Space Is Only Noise if You Can See
9. Almost Fell
10. Balance Her in Between Your Eyes
11. Specters of the Future
12. Trace
13. Variations
14. Etre

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Colomb
2. Specters Of The Future
3. Balance Her In Between Your Eyes

FINAL RATING:
2.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment