Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World



I've heard many things about this band called The Shins - but I cannot say I'd ever really given them the time of day before. This morning they popped up as a recommendation since I enjoy the album 'Guero' by Beck. So hopefully this album has a similar sound to that. Looks like these guys were based out of New Mexico - but now hail from Portland, Oregon. They started making "sub pop" style music in 1997 or so, which seems crazy. I know I heard of them a long time ago - but yikes, I'm getting old. Anyways, they got a real shot because of Modest Mouse - and their willingness to let them come along on some touring. This record was their first, and it was released in 2001. The album's title comes from a lyric in the second track, "One by One All Day", and there are several theories as to its meaning. It may allude to a line from German philosopher and economist Karl Marx. In his 1843 Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right, Marx blames religion for creating an "inverted world consciousness" that excuses mankind from self-responsibility. Alternatively, it may refer to the science fiction classic "Inverted World" by Christopher Priest. And yeah, I referenced that from someone - but I thought it was interesting. Not many bands would be mistaken to quote from something that deep. Anyways, this isn't anything like 'Guero'. It makes me pretty sad. Sad that I don't like it as much, and sad that "like it - similar" services are so off base. I do like this though, and maybe I'd love it had I not had a preconceived idea in my head. I'll have to run through it a couple more times and reevaluate it. It's a very highly rated album critically, so I'd definitely tell you all to check it out. Don't think Beck, this old school Brit pop meets folk rock. That sort of feel.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Caring Is Creepy
2. One by One All Day
3. Weird Divide
4. Know Your Onion!
5. Girl Inform Me
6. New Slang
7. Celibate Life, The
8. Girl on the Wing
9. Your Algebra
10. Pressed in a Book
11. Past and Pending, The

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Caring Is Creepy
2. Know Your Onion
3. New Slang

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment