Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, August 29, 2011

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV



Since it is my birthday, I don't have as much of a problem doing one rap type album for you guys and then a real rap album for you all. 'Tha Carter IV' dropped today, and I really want to listen to it. So why not give you guys a peek into the world of Weezy too? Exactly. Sure I'm also bucking the New Music Tuesday trend, but hey - it's my bday! It's my party and I'll review if I want to. Everyone knows about Lil Wayne at this point, and his struggles with the law and his respect in the industry. Now - I wouldn't call myself the biggest Weezy fan ever, but I do respect what he's doing. Building the Young Money camp and making music pretty much non stop for his legions of fans. When I did 'Carter III' a while back, that was really the first and only album from him that I couldn't put down. I loved every minute of it. Since then, each album he puts out has probably 3-5 tracks I really like, then a bunch of stuff I would turn off. I like that he's willing to mix it up and try new things - but sometimes it's those odd styles that are a turn off. So far, this album seems much more "normal" and it seems he was looking to make another classic like Carter III. And at first glance today - I really like this one again. From the singles you've heard so far, '6 Foot 7 Foot' is that go hard type rap that any real fan of the genre will love. 'John' is that typical forgettable Rick Ross collaboration. 'How To Love' is that sort of hate it or love track, but I like the ballad and it's not overly poppy which is nice. 'She Will' is the Drake collaboration, and it's got a nice beat and solid lyrics too. But the biggest surprise was the 3-part track that is the Intro/Interlude/Outro. It's really good. I went back to those each a couple times. Of course there is also the T-Pain collabo that I can't stand, but then there is one with Bruno Mars that makes me happy. Happy that Bruno is getting more work with major rappers and happy because it's just a good song. All in all, I'm really content with how this came out, and glad that Lil Wayne went back to the magic formula. It's rumored that this could be his last album, and if it is, I think he can sleep well knowing he dropped a great one.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Intro
2. Blunt Blowin
3. MegaMan
4. 6 Foot 7 Foot
5. Nightmares Of The Bottom
6. She Will
7. How To Hate
8. Interlude
9. John
10. Abortion
11. So Special
12. How To Love
13. President Carter
14. Its Good
15. Outro

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. 6 Foot 7 Foot
2. Intro/Interlude/Outro
3. How To Love

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment