Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Muppets - The Green Album



New Music Tuesday encompasses a variety of sounds and artists. An anonymous reader dropped this into the suggestion box and said, "Hey B Side - you dummy, listen to some Muppets!" Well, those may not have been the exact words, but I read it as such. So here we are, Muppets all queued up and I'm halfway through it so far. All this really is, is a bunch of artists covering popular muppets songs. It was released on Walt Disney Records, and doesn't appear to be something for charity or anything fun like that - just Disney expanding their horizons trying to make money in different ways. A week ago if one was so inclined, you could have listened to this whole thing on NPR's web page under the "First Listen" program. At first glance, there are a number of bigger artists on here that you'd expect some good stuff. We all know how much I love Weezer, but maybe what you folks don't know - is I'm in LOVE with Amy Lee from Evanescence. Her voice is magical to me. I like that My Morning Jacket is on here too, they need to get some publicity. Now, I can't remark as to the popularity of the muppets TV show, and if these are in fact songs that appear on the show often. I can't claim to watch it, nor remember watching it much as a kid. The only muppet thing I can recall was the cartoon muppet babies - which was relatively entertaining. In terms of this record, uhh, I guess it's fun? I think if you're a fan of the show, I could see this being epic. And I think this could be really fun for kids too. In terms of me listening and loving it - not a ton. I like a couple tracks, but I'm not sure I'd ever put this on normally. Chalk this up to the novelty category for me, and I'd have to be in some sort of special mood (possibly intoxicated) to what to listen to this.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Muppet Show Theme Song - OK Go
2. Rainbow Connection - Weezer/Hayley Williams
3. Mahna Mahna - The Fray
4. Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio
5. Our World - My Morning Jacket
6. Halfway Down the Stairs - Amy Lee
7. Mr. Bassman - Sondre Lerche
8. Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Event
9. Night Life - Brandon Saller
10. Bein' Green - Andrew Bird
11. I Hope That Something Better Comes Along - Matt Nathanson
12. I'm Going To Go Back There Someday - Rachael Yamagata

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Rainbow Connection
2. Mahna Mahna
3. Bein' Green

FINAL RATING:
2 out of 5 stars

2 comments: