Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, August 8, 2011

Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair



No surprise that I'm exhausted from yet another long weekend - that included getting my socks rocked off again live (review coming at some point). But we get back in the groove this morning with a little Tears For Fears. Now, I've known about these guys forever. Not sure why I never reviewed them before - but it just so happened I was watching something on VH1 and 'Mad World' came up, and I recalled how much I adore that song, and these guys were the originals. I decided not to do that album today, because this one was so incredibly popular. It came out in 1985 and is a sick 5x platinum in the states. They got the title from some show called 'Sybil' back in the 80's - which I have zero recollection of. But apparently it was about a lady who had multiple personalities and only felt safe when she was in her therapist's "big chair". So there you have it. This is one of the more highly regarded albums of the entire decade - and was mixed into the 1001 Albums To Listen To Before You Die analysis. It's certainly got that signature 80's pop feel, especially with tracks like 'Rule The World'. Very synthy, very 80's style beats. The beats almost lead this into being a dance album on some tracks, but then super ballady on others. That genre bending I think is what made this album, and the band so well respected. They were doing that at a time it was not at all commonplace. This album is beyond needing to check out. I can't stand 80's music, but I really respect this record. The hits are really hits and the rest is all pretty good too.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Shout
2. Working Hour, The
3. Everybody Wants to Rule the World
4. Mothers Talk
5. I Believe
6. Broken
7. Head over Heals/Broken
8. Listen
9. Big Chair, The
10. Empire Building
11. Marauders, The
12. Broken Revisted
13. Conflict, The
14. Mothers Talk(US Remix)
15. Shout (US Remix)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Shout
2. Head Over Heels/Broken
3. Rule The World

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment