Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, May 20, 2011

B Side Presents, "Friday Gut Check - Picture Paragraphs Are Loaded"



It's been a while since I did a Gut Check Top 5 list, so why not right? And why not pay a little respect to one of my favorite artists of all time, Mr. Tupac Shakur.

I think everyone knows a Pac song or two by this point. Since he dies in 1996 at the ripe old age of 25 - you've had plenty of time to hear some of the old classics and not be bombarded with new albums year over year. Sure, they have dropped a bunch of posthumous albums in his honor, but that doesn't count. I want to go back to the original 1991-1996 albums, and come up with my Top 5 Pac songs of all time.

5. Ambitionz Az A Ridah - One thing for certain, every Pac track has a sick bass line. But that's not what makes his songs amazing, it's the lyrics. This isn't short of any solid lyrics anyone can't rap along with. You have the really hard beat with the piano compliment - just sick. I won't deny it, I'm a straight ridah - you don't wanna f**k with me.

4. Me And My Girlfriend - YES! All the haters didn't take the time to hear this song and think about what it was all about. Can you believe some people to this day don't know what he's singing about? Hint, it isn't a lady. Incredibly clever track that was very well written. Great background beat that's been reused countless times. My girlfriend maybe 45 but she's still live, one shot make a n***a heartbeat stop.

3. Hit 'Em Up - You hear about rap "beefs" all the time, and how terrible they are for the industry. Well, which one was ever bigger than Biggie versus Pac? And which one ended more tragically than this one? Two of the biggest guys in the game go down. This is by far, the BEST "diss" track ever made. If you ever have someone at work or wherever that you can't stand, put this track on as loud as it goes in the car on the way home. I promise you'll feel better getting it off your chest.

2. Got My Mind Made Up - I don't really know why exactly, but I adore this song. 'All Eyez On Me' was probably the most overplayed album for me, and this was my saving grace. When this song came on and everyone else would stop paying attention, I'd appreciate I didn't have to deal with everyone else ruining it with their rendition. Sick, sick beat, and excellent arrangement. Lyrically, maybe not his best song, but great cameo by Method Man and an irrational favorite from me.

1. Hail Mary - Was there ever really a question? I mean, this song just kills it. There is a reason I picked it for my headlining quote. In terms of beats, probably the best of all time. Any artist, any producer, any genre. Lyrically, probably the best hip hop song ever wrote. If nothing else, you should put this on today and simply listen over and over to what Pac was talking about. It's just a flat out phenomenal song. Gives me chills listening to it right now - awesome stuff.

There are a bunch of good tracks put out after he died, and that could be a separate list itself. Maybe I'll do that someday. Until then, hit me up with your favorite Pac songs. I'm curious how many people will crush me for leaving California Love off the list...TBD!

Happy Friday B Siders!

No comments:

Post a Comment