Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nelly - Country Grammar



Hot s**t! Seriously, I know I've said this before, but I can't believe I haven't reviewed some albums. And being a big rap fan, this album should have at least come in the first year of reviews. Jeez. Follower peterman dropped this one in the box, and I was stunned to see it hadn't made my list yet. A while back, I reviewed Nelly's latest drop - 5.0. It didn't get a good review from me, mainly because it has strayed so far from the original Nelly stuff - and not in a good way. Well friends, this is the original. When this dropped in 2000, who wasn't bumpin' this in the car? At the very least bumpin' the title track off a mix cd. Recently Nelly was left off the best rappers today list via BET. And he pointed to the fact the only artist that has outsold him in the 2000's is Eminem. And if Nelly was still dropping records like this one, he'd have the respect. This is a crazy 9x platinum in the US - which is a crazy number for a hip hop record. Nelly did a great job back in the day not alienating the rap fans while still appealing to the pop crowd. I think nowadays, he's lost the hip hop community. I'm stunned to see this album got pretty beaten up by critics. My guess is they didn't really listen to the whole thing. The big time poppy tracks aren't amazing, but there are a couple really solid sleepers on this record. It was a great introduction for the Lunatics who dropped a pretty solid album in their own right. No one was coming out of the Midwest at this point and hitting it hard like Nelly was. I respect that. And this album was very much different in its time - and it stands the test of time today. Gets a slight reduction for the stupid Ced The Entertainer quips - but otherwise this still hits hard on the car system.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Intro
2. St. Louie
3. Greed, Hate, Envy
4. Country Grammar (Hot Shit)
5. Steal the Show
6. Interlude
7. Ride Wit Me
8. E.I.
9. Thicky Thick Girl
10. For My
11. Utha Side
12. Tho Dem Wrappas
13. Wrap Sumden
14. Batter Up
15. Never Let 'Em C U Sweat
16. Luven Me
17. Outro

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Steal The Show
2. St. Louie
3. Country Grammar

4. Batter Up

FINAL RATING:
4.5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I can remember when my cousin used to straight bump this whole CD. I loved it and to a certain degree I still do. Your right, bass on here is RIDICULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only song I really hated was EI, which was unfortunate, since everyone else loved it. Batter Up still gets me going to this day. And anything with Nelly and the 'tics makes me applaud.

    Call the Cops! I see a robbery in progress, Lunatics about to steal the show!

    ReplyDelete