Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fatboy Slim - Halfway Between The Gutter And The Stars



Woah! It's already 8am and I haven't posted! Sorry B Siders, but I'm going to have to do my second post later this morning. I have a meeting at 8:30am so only the installation of Techno Tuesday is going to get posted before that timeframe. My sincerest apologies - but I can promise I'll do it by lunch. Anyways, Fatboy Slim time. Techno Tuesday time! I reviewed his 'Long Way Baby' album a while back - which is one of my favorite dance records of all time. That one came out in 1998 - and this one dropped in 2000. It hasn't charted in the United States - but I guarantee nearly each and every one of you has heard at least one song off this album. Don't believe me? Look up the video for 'Weapon Of Choice'. Yep, Christopher Walken doing some crazy stuff on the video. Very awesome watch. Otherwise, I remember buying this album when it came out. I was very excited about it, but it didn't really meet my expectations. Not to say it's a bad album, because it's not. It's just different. Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) did a lot of sampling and collaboration work on this album, trying to do something a little out of the norm. His work with Jim Morrison's sample on 'Sunset (Bird of Prey)' is interesting - but kind of strange. As someone who loves the Doors, I'm not sure the repetitive nature of that track makes it worth while. It's just a contrast from the previous record, I'm not sure fans knew what to think. Macy Gray makes an appearance, Bootsie Collins, Roland Clark and Roger Sanchez are all here too. I still enjoy this album from time to time, but it's not a Fatboy staple like the other albums are. Very much worth a listen though.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Talking Bout My Baby
2. Star 69
3. Sunset (Bird of Prey)
4. Love Life
5. Ya Mama
6. Mad Flava
7. Retox
8. Weapon of Choice
9. Drop the Hate
10. Demons
11. Song for Shelter


Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Weapon Of Choice
2. Sunset
3. Star 69

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment