Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lady Gaga - Born This Way



Not sure if it's this way for anyone else, but my Blogger is really screwed up again today. I keep getting strange errors when I open it up in certain browsers. Regardless, I can post - and it's New Music Tuesday! And who's bigger than Gaga right now? No one in the pop world at least. (odd side note, I accidentally typed "poop" right there, and was tempted to leave it) I've been hypercritical of pop music since I started the blog, and my opinion hasn't totally changed on it. I do respect Gaga for what she does, and how she breaks the stereotypes of what a pop star should be. So, mad props still for that. What you always worry about as a fan of any artist, is overexposure. Gaga has now dropped three full length albums in essentially two years, and it's hard for any artist to have that much material. Gaga claims she writes new music every single day of her life, so I guess I could give her a pass on putting out music she doesn't really believe in. Three singles have dropped off this already: 'Born This Way', 'Judas' and 'The Edge Of Glory'. The only one I haven't heard yet is the last one. And I can safely say, the first two are missing something as compared to previous Gaga anthems. The title track is a sample of a Madonna track, and it's almost so sampled that I can't seem to groove to the new arrangement by Gaga. And frankly, 'Judas' is one of the few songs by her that I simply cannot tolerate. If it comes on the radio, I have to turn it off. It's repetitive in a bad way, and there is no redeeming quality. All in all, listening to this record, my first impression is holding true. If you're a Gaga nut - you'll find a few jams on this album that you'll workout to, blast in the car and share with your friends. If you're just a casual fan, this isn't nearly the same quality as the first two records. Regardless of what Gaga says, this feels rushed to the fans and not held to any standards of quality. I have confidence this will go platinum in a week, but I highly doubt the long term shelf life of this record.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Marry the Night
2. Born This Way
3. Government Hooker
4. Judas
5. Americano
6. Hair
7. ScheiƔe
8. Bloody Mary
9. Bad Kids
10. Highway Unicorn (Road To Love)
11. Heavy Metal Lover
12. Electric Chapel
13. You and I
14. Edge of Glory, The

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Hair
2. Born This Way
3. Highway Unicorn

FINAL RATING:
2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment