Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hugo - Old Tyme Religion



New Music Tuesday! All hail New Music Tuesday! So - you guys probably don't remember, but a really long time ago, Epic Records sent me the video for Hugo's '99 Problems' which is a cover of Jay-Z's track. I know a bunch of you watched the video and all that, and I promised that I'd have his album to debut in the near future. Well, the future is now! JenInTosa either remembered the track from the B Side, or heard it elsewhere - as she dropped this in the Suggestion Box. I also got an email from Epic 3 days ago, asking to profile the release. So here it is! So Hugo is Chulachak “Hugo” Chakrabongse - which I have no clue how to properly pronounce. He was born in England, but was raised in Thailand - near the Mekong River jungle. As a teenager, he released four records with a band called Siplor, which I'll have to investigate someday. He first rose to prominence when a song of his, 'Disappear' was featured on Beyonce's album 'I Am Sasha Fierce'. That began to a series of collaborations with Jay-Z's Roc Nation label starting in 2010. He then got a nice boost when it was decided his '99 Problems' cover was to be featured in the film 'No Strings Attached' featuring Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. I'm not really sure how I'd classify his music, but he calls it "gangsta-rock". I suppose I can run with that. All the songs have a very signature sound - which is very fun and different. I think this album could work it's way up my list of albums to tell others about. I always like to help out artists who are going against the grain, and making music that isn't already out there. Give this one a nice go today. I think you'll be impressed.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Old Tyme Religion
2. 99 Problems
3. Bread & Butter
4. Rock 'n' Roll Delight
5. Hopelessly Stoned
6. Hurt Makes It Beautiful
7. Born
8. Mekong River Delta
9. Sweetest Cure
10. Different Lives
11. Just a Shred
12. Wake Alone

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. 99 Problems
2. Hopelessly Stoned
3. Walk Alone

VIDEO FOR 99 PROBLEMS

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment