Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, May 2, 2011

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory



Upon looking through my genre reviews, I noticed that I needed to get a classic review in today. Then I was looking through artists, and shockingly, I haven't done any Creedence reviews yet! That seems silly and unbelievable. These guys formed in California in the late 1960's. The four band members knew each other since middle school - and played in a band together long before CCR was formed. They did "juke box standard" covers and called themselves the Blue Velvets for a while. When they got signed to a major label, the studio hated their name, so that's when they changed it to CCR. The name comes from three parts. Firstly, Tom Fogerty's friend Credence Newball, (to whose first name Credence they added an extra 'e', making it resemble a faith or creed); secondly, "clear water" from a TV commercial for Olympia beer; and finally "revival", which spoke to the four members' renewed commitment to their band. Cosmo's Factory here came out in 1970 when the band was probably at their peak of popularity. They had already sold 8 million albums in the USA, and the growth wasn't seemingly going to stop. What's interesting, is John Fogerty kind of got hosed when he first signed the record deal. He didn't keep ownership rights of the music, so the studio owned everything. In pop culture, CCR songs have been used in terrible movies, tv shows and commercials. All of which, Fogerty was against. 'Fortunate Son' was used in Wrangler jeans commercials, and finally Fogerty got to speak out in an LA Times interview. To his surprise, Wrangler understood he didn't like the use, and pulled the ads, even though they had already paid a handsome sum of money. Regardless, CCR is a rock music institution. When I hear the word "classic", it's hard not to think of these guys as icons. Give this a listen today, I promise you'll enjoy it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Ramble Tamble
2. Before You Accuse Me
3. Travelin' Band
4. Ooby Dooby
5. Lookin' Out My Back Door
6. Run Through The Jungle
7. Up Around The Bend
8. My Baby Left Me
9. Who'll Stop The Rain
10. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
11. Long As I Can See The Light

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Long As I Can See The Light
2. Who'll Stop The Rain
3. Lookin' Out My Back Door

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment