Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, May 6, 2011

Rant #18 - "What Is There To Idolize?"



Okay...I get that there is a show out there that has millions and millions of people watching it each week. I get it. It's a big show, and the masses have spoken - it's a hit. I do know the number of viewers has been going down since season six, but that's neither here nor there. 26 million viewers is still a TON of people watching the show for a Wednesday night.

I'll admit that I'm not a regular. I used to watch the show when I was in college with a couple of my friends and we'd make fun of the crappy people. But the show - even back then - was really unwatchable. Take this season for instance. I happened to tune in a couple nights back to watch the contestants perform. Is there anyone left in the top 5 or whatever they're at now that you'd honestly listen to? Would you really go buy a record from Haley? I nearly wanted to gouge my eyes out watching her perform. And this Jacob fella who I believe got eliminated - what the heck was he doing out there? I heard his rendition of 'I Believe I Can Fly' by R. Kelly and was moderately impressed - but what else? What else has he done that would make you want to listen to more? Oh wait, I know...NOTHING!

And it's not just this year. I'm looking at the winners. You've got Clarkson. Okay, she's sold a bunch of albums and won a couple awards. But is her music really any good? Seems like every time her name is brought up on conversation - I can't seem to find anyone who actually likes her or her music. Jennifer Hudson - sure. She seems to have some talent. Won awards for both music and acting. She doesn't sell records! Both her albums went gold status, and I don't think I could name a single hit off her two drops. That tells me a something. Then you've got Underwood. She's sold a bunch of albums and really seems to appeal to the country crowd. Since I still consider myself a country novice, I won't comment to how the general fans feel about her.

But my point is, this show is supposed to appeal to music fans. Well - I LOVE music. Maybe I don't enjoy pop music, but it seems the show really doesn't focus on that. I see a lot of R&B stuff, country and some rock. But you know what the kicker is? When Simon was on the show, he always would deny some people and tell them they were "Broadway singers" at best. Take a look at how many contestants end up on Broadway! It's at least 20 of them! So what is this show really producing? It's clearly not generating huge record selling artists, and not even making artists that you can't live without. It seems to me the show has basically become an attraction for people to watch each week - with no real threat of good music occurring.

I hear each and every year how the talent pool is the best it has ever been and how this year is the toughest competition yet. It's bull plop. Stinky, smelly, slimy bull plop. I don't think there is one person on the show whose music I'd listen to right now. And based on how many albums I own of previous winners, it shouldn't be a shock. My number is an astounding zero. I'm guessing many of you are the same way.

The only way to make it go away, is to stop watching it. Stop letting these people make money and think they're doing something that benefits the music industry. And most of all, stop letting them think they can come up with spin off shows that will also be successful. I don't want an X Factor and I don't want a Seacrest show. I just want it all to end.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post by the way...

    Here's what I think and I may repeat some things you just mentioned.

    To me, this platform is supposed to have one
    purpose, one outcome: To find that next outstanding musical talent. OK, basis established. Now what has transpired over basically every season that's aired? There always seems to be that one we all knew had some bomb talent, but of course they get booted off early. Then down the road they get to the final 12,...5, then you have the face off between the last 2. In every season, I've always seen the obvious winner. For those of us who watch, it can be no competition at times. So then what? You have your winner and then......?

    I feel like the show is geared towards what will bring in a lot, but quick, for the time being revenue. Some $$$ now instead of creating or launching an ARTIST that will make MUSIC. I think that the attention has been shifted into creating the next pop sensation rather than someone genuine. I'll say that personally, I've seen what I thought were some pretty nice performances. I've
    seen a few solid renditions of famous songs. But on "the b side" I haven't witnessed something that completely blew me away. And in all fairness, there aren't even too many well known, established artist who are consistent in that manner. I don't expect a perfect performance each time.

    What I want is substance. I don't want some flashy, hyped up introduction. *thinking*...I mean I understand the purpose for the huge setting, the staging and all. The outcome is what's killing me the most. I watch because I have whats becoming a super slim hope of a truly GOOD singer/musician.

    Only time will tell, but for the most part I see a diminishing quality nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. And clearly I agree with you. There just isn't any real talent coming out of the Idol camp...so in that end, it's just a big, overhyped tv show.

    It could change one day..but I don't think it's going to happen.

    I'm surprised there haven't been even more spin offs to date. Such a gold mine.

    ReplyDelete