Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, May 24, 2010

Ben Harper - The Will To Live



I could start a 'Mood Music Monday' but I think I've locked myself into enough review certain things on a certain day. If people asked for it, I'd do it - so let me know. Well, this week brings me way back to Ben Harper. Is it a fair statement that everyone finds out about Mr. Harper while in college? This particular record came out way back in 1997 - and I easily went the next 5 years without hearing a single note from it. It's fair to say that none of his music gets any radio play - with the exception of the local oddball type stations out there. None of the major stations seem to be interested in what he has to share with the masses. This was his fourth studio release and in my opinion start to finish one of his better works. There are a couple tracks that seem to be out of character for him - but they seem to work out with the album. I love some of the background stuff with his vocals. Nothing overdone though - with him the simpler the better. My top track will be his voice over a violin arrangement. Incredible. If you've still never heard of him, he's like a Lenny Kravitz voice meets the lyrics and arrangement of a Coldplay. Then at times toss in the bluesy of a Clapton and the guitar of also a Clapton like blues era. Some pretty cool music when you sit down and give it time. So I highly recommend this one - check it out. You won't be disappointed with what you hear.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Faded
2. Homeless Child
3. Number Three
4. Roses From My Friends
5. Jah Work
6. I Want to Be Ready
7. Will to Live, The
8. Ashes
9. Widow of a Living Man
10. Glory & Consequence
11. Mama's Trippin'
12. I Shall Not Walk Alone

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. I Shall Not Walk Alone
2. Roses From My Friends
3. Number Three

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment