Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Brandi Carlile - The Story



This review is probably long overdue. If my goal is to turn you on to solid, different music - Brandi should have been my first review. You probably have to listen to her music to truly understand it, but her lyrics are great, her vocals are flat out phenomenal and her passion for the music is second to none. She is another artist that I got in touch with via the freebie of the week on iTunes. The song they released is called 'Closer To You' and is also very solid. The only reason I'm not going to review that album (her self titled debut) is simply because I don't know it as well. I've put it on a couple times but have not gotten to it as much as The Story. The title track has been used in a TON of tv shows, commercial advertisements and in sports. Due to such monstrous demand, a huge chunk of her sales came from online downloads - of course directly correlating with when people heard it on the television. Brandi does a little bit of everything. She's a bit folky, she's got some country elements to her, she's a bit poppy and a bit alternative at times. I'm pretty sure you'll find something you'll like. If she did a straight up country album, I'd have a very favorable review for that genre for the first time in a while. Her storytelling is amazing and when you hear the passion she brings to the mic, I promise you'll be impressed. Check it out B Side - and almost to Friday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Late Morning Lullaby
2. Story, The
3. Turpentine
4. My Song
5. Wasted
6. Have You Ever
7. Josephine
8. Losing Heart
9. Cannonball
10. Until I Die
11. Downpour
12. Shadow on the Wall
13. Again Today

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. The Story
2. Again Today
3. Turpentine

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment