Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bill Withers - Just As I Am



It was time for another classic review today, and I've decided to go with Mr. Bill Withers. He's got three hits that probably everyone in the world knows, one of which is on this record. The crazy thing about this album though - it seriously is amazing. This was his debut studio release back in 1971. For a guy whose career has been noted as one of the best soul singers of all time, I can't quite fathom how this record doesn't get talked about more often. I mean, maybe not even in the conversation as best album of all time, but just in the conversation of best debut album ever. This is really that good. Plus you think about the other greatest records ever, and very rarely if ever do you see it being the first in a discography. It will be incredibly difficult to select a top three because it is just that good. I feel like I'm overselling it - so I'll just tell you to take a listen. I'm sure you've heard 'Sunshine' before, and if you loved that - you'll love the whole thing. I promise. It's got the soul, it's got the R&B and it's got a little blues/folk music with it too. I need to note to myself to check if Bill is still touring. I'd love to see him live. This is a must listen B Side! Groove your Thursday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Harlem
2. Ain't No Sunshine
3. Grandma's Hands
4. Sweet Wanomi
5. Everybody's Talkin'
6. Do It Good
7. Hope She'll Be Happier
8. Let It Be
9. I'm Her Daddy
10. In My Heart
11. Moanin' and Groanin'
12. Better Off Dead

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Ain't No Sunshine
2. Hope She'll Be Happier
3. Moanin' And Groanin'

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment