Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, August 13, 2010

Gretchen Wilson - Here For The Party



JenInTosa is back with a country suggestion. I don't know much about Gretchen, other than the track 'Redneck Woman'. Slight rant on this, is it really cool to call yourself a redneck? I mean, I recall that being a slur almost toward white people who you thought might be a racist. Then Jeff Foxworthy comes along and makes jokes about it, then presto! it's almost 'cool' to be one. I don't really get it. I'm not sure I'd ever want to be classified as a redneck - but if the shoe fits... Anyway, this was Wilson's debut album and by far her best selling. (2004 and 5x platinum respectively) I also typically associated rednecks with the south, but Gretchy here was born in Illinois. Yep, a good ol' midwesterner like myself. She has a povertish background and ended up doing some waitressing in Illinois and then St. Louis for cash to live on. Interesting tidbit, she is being sued by one of my faves, the Black Crowes for her track 'Work Hard, Play Harder' being a copy of the BC track 'Jealous Again'. Currently no resolution, but the BC manager stated they expect a quick, out of court settlement. Anyway, this is a real country album. No crossing over, no sampling other genres. Country through and through. The last few country reviews have been pretty favorable - but this isn't for me. (Is there such a genre as chick country?) I don't really identify with the lyrics and the beats aren't anything to write home about. I can see the appeal to women, just like Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy. So based on gender, I'll bow out of this record as saying it isn't for me. Ladies, enjoy!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Here for the Party
2. Redneck Woman
3. When I Think About Cheatin'
4. Homewrecker
5. Holdin' You
6. Chariot
7. What Happened
8. When It Rains
9. Bed, The
10. Pocahontas Proud

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. What Happened
2. Here For The Party
3. Redneck Woman

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment