Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust



Another fun part about having a music blog - going from Backstreet to Sigur Ros. I'm not sure I could have picked any further of opposites. This is a shoutout to my former follower Rick, who claims he didn't drop the blog and the blog dropped him. Crazy, I know. But he played this album over the weekend and maybe this will convince him to read on a more regular basis. These guys are an Icelandic band that has hmm, kind of a classical/melodic/minimalist type feel to it. Very soothing, very calming and very neat. After I heard this once, I had to listen to it again on my own with just my phones on - not any other background noise. Totally different feel to it than when it was on in the car with other stuff going on. I jumped on the bandwagon too late though, since in January of this hear they announced a hiatus - to spend time with family and work on solo stuff. The old stuff is still new to me though, and they have five studio albums in total. If you're curious, this album title translates to: "With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly". That's pretty cool. Bottom line, this is extremely captivating music. If you're not even the slightest bit intrigued, I'd honestly be stunned. This album has me craving more, and I will do just that - keep listening. I love the feel of the album, I love how it's got a classical mood to it - yet it's not. I feel like you could put this on to work, to study, to jam around the house and in the car to drive. Any record that's good for all those thing, it a-okay with me. Big time check it out B Siders. I think you'll enjoy it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Gobbledigook
2. Inn¡ M¿r Syngur Vitleysingur
3. G¢dan Daginn
4. Vid Spilum Endalaust
5. Festival
6. Med Sud I Eyrum
7. Ara B tur
8. Illgresi
9. Flj¢tav¡k
10. Straumnes
11. All Alright

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. All Alright
2. Fljotavik
3. Festival

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. For the record I had to of told you about Sigor Ros at least 2 years ago. I say at lest because I was introduced to them, by the movie Vanilla Sky, and I and hat was a good 5 years ago I was on that high. oh yeah, I'm going there. You know I feel, you've held my opinions on music to hold very little wieght in your world, and while I know your entitiled to your own opinion, you surely are as you admit aloud at time and asshole, while I'm not looking for you to listen and review everything suggested to you. I'm just looking for you to realized that since before this blog you may have been a bit narrow on your good/bad music ratings. WHile I realize you step out side the box on your reviews/blog hell I wouldn't attempt Backstreet Boys, so props for that. And apparently it is the medium of the internet that I chose to say something about being openminded to all types of music. And as you had shot down my tastes so many times in the past, I feel it necessary to call out those mistakes for my own ego. I understand you're keeping to mostly recent music, or at least music from our life time, but I would like to see you give bill evans, john coltrane or miles davis a solid chance. Even though these three have passed away much earlier than your music reviws go back. I guess I'm just seeing if you open to reviewing some undoubtedly great music at go. Then again this is your music review blog, and it's quite a good one at that. Don't let me sway you from your generally comfort zone. That is a majority of albums you've listened to for sometiems even years, here. Here I call you out, for I am in the dumps and non sugar coating a thing. cause you are my great friend and I think you deserve soem feed back rather than the minimal response. I mean you no harm by my words but I do mean to spark your mind to explore what may not have been even known to exist or heard by you before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although unfortunately, I can admit I am far from perfect and that goes for my typing and punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comments. First and foremost, I certainly don't think your music opinion carries any less weight to me than anyone elses. I don't think I'm unique in the sense if someone tells you to listen to a new band, it's hard to really do that. If you don't download illegally, most people aren't willing to go drop 10 bucks on a cd they may or may not enjoy. I don't know how many times I've told people to listen to bands like Eels or Gorillaz, and they just don't get around to it. That's not saying my musical opinion means less to them, it just means they didn't get to it. Now that I make it a point to listen to new stuff for the blog, it's easier to make time for it.

    While you may think I'm not going to review the jazz stuff you mentioned, it's on my list. I did tell you a variety of times that if you don't put it in my Suggestion Box, I won't remember to review it. You never typed it in the the box, so I always forgot. I eventually added it myself a couple weeks back - and plan to get to it soon.

    I welcome getting out of my comfort zone, and try to do so at least twice a week. Once with 'New Music Tuesday' and then once with the 'odd' brand review. Heck, even doing one country album a week is WAY out of my comfort zone. I've been tuned into some great stuff over the last few months, and I've been affirmed of my distaste for certain bands.

    I think the overall message of your post is positive, so I hope I'm not coming across as negative back. Just know what whatever comes my way, I'll review. It may not be in a timely fashion certain times, but I'll get to it. I do two reviews a day, 5 days per week. By those numbers, statistically I'll get to everything in the box in due time. But again, if it's not the in the box, I can't see it.

    And to anyone else who may read this, I welcome any responses. I'm a grown man, I can take criticism. If you hate my blog and feel the need to tell me about it - go right ahead. I may respond back negatively too, after all, I'm human. But the intention is to take all feedback constructively, and figure out ways to improve.

    ReplyDelete