Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, August 9, 2010

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die

Anonymously I got a request to review some Biggie. Somewhat surprising I haven't gotten to anything by him yet - but it happens. I will say, I was never a huge fan of Biggie back in the day. Since I was a Pac fan, it was hard to really enjoy Biggie. Not even so much from the beef standpoint - but because their styles are so different. Biggie relies a lot on a sweet background arrangement for him to flow over, and he has a lot of rhythm to his raps. Pac on the other hand just went hard, and he had that raw emotion quality. I think I started to respect Biggie more after college when I really sat down and listened to the lyrics. Juicy is one of the best rap songs ever, regardless of what coast you vibe with. Conversely, I think Big Poppa is one of the more overrated hip hop tracks ever. I also quite enjoyed the film 'Notorious' that came out a couple years back. Biggie certainly has that typical rap story - big into the drug game, has kids, get noticed and makes it big. Regardless of what I feel about his raps, he died way too early. I'm glad that whole beef until guys get shot thing is over. I don't doubt Pac and Biggie would be friends again today and making phenomenal music together. This is shockingly only 4x platinum, but plays much better than that. There are probably a few tracks that could have been cut from this, and it'd have been a 5 star record all the way. A couple too many weaker flows on here to be really great. Still a very good record, one that you need to hear if you haven't already. This had a huge influence on modern hip hop and molded many artists into what they are today. Enjoy!

1. Intro
2. Things Done Changed
3. Gimme the Loot
4. Machine Gun Funk
5. Warning
6. Ready to Die
7. One More Chance
8. #!*@ Me (Interlude)
9. What, The
10. Juicy
11. Everyday Struggle
12. Me & My Bitch
13. Big Poppa
14. Respect - (Patois)
15. Friend of Mine
16. Unbelievable
17. Suicidal Thoughts
18. Who Shot Ya
19. Just Playing (Dreams)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Juicy
2. Who Shot Ya
3. One More Chance

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment