Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Monster Magnet - Powertrip



It's probably pretty safe to say that everyone was diggin' a little Monster Magnet back in 1998. When 'Space Lord' dropped, it was pretty contagious and you heard it on a variety of stations. I can't say I went any further in their discography than this record though. Looking through it this morning, it appears their first album came out way back in 1992. They even kept putting out new music with their most recent record coming out in 2007. Looks like they're back in the studio right now - hoping to release their 8th piece sometime this year. If you missed out on Space Lord or haven't heard any other tracks by them, they hit pretty hard, and I'd classify them as a metal type band. This particular record is certified Gold and is probably their best selling record. 4 singles were released from it, the biggest being the afformentiond 'Lord' and then 'Powertrip' - the title track that also rocks your socks off. I never went out and purchased this cd back in the day, but I'm having thoughts about it now. It's actually quite good. I'm not sure about their other 7 records, but this one is pretty solid top to bottom. Monster Magnet has a pretty heavy influence in pop culture, with many of their songs being in movies, tv and video games. Mostly darker stuff (ie 'See You In Hell' being part of the film Bride of Chucky). Even if I don't go out and buy this, it makes me a little more excited to check out further Magnet tracks. I think they've got a pretty cool sound on this one that's maybe more unique than I thought by the couple singles I've heard. I say check it out. Even if you're not a metal fan, I think some of them are poppy enough to enjoy. Happy Thursday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Crop Circle
2. Powertrip
3. Space Lord
4. Temple of Your Dreams
5. Bummer
6. Baby G¿tterd¿merung
7. 19 Witches
8. 3rd Eye Landslide
9. See You in Hell
10. Tractor
11. Atomic Clock
12. Goliath and the Vampires
13. Your Lies Become You

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Space Lord
2. Temple Of Your Dreams
3. Powertrip OR Crop Circles

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment