Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, June 18, 2010

Cake - Fashion Nugget



Man do I love cake. And I'm not just talking about red velvet, carrot and banana, I'm talking about a little slice of musical heaven. I find this record to be VERY overlooked in terms of great albums that came out in 1996. I have these guys down as a solid alt rock band, but they do splash in a lot of other elements. You can hear a jazz, rockabilly and jamband type style in some of their songs. Really a diverse listen. You couldn't tune a station on the radio back in fall '96 without hearing 'The Distance' and that's probably because it's one of the greatest songs ever made. If you recall, it was reasonably high on my Top 100 of the 90's list. Great stuff. While this album is pretty tame, they drop the F bomb in two songs (I Will Survive and Nugget) giving this a PA sticker on the cover. I'm semi surprised there was more backlash for cursing in Gloria Gaynor's track, just because you're rewriting a couple lyrics in a historic song. I think it's great personally, as it gives a great song an identity for Cake. This album has gone meagerly platinum, and should have reached more households than that. It's too good not to be heard. By no means is this music history, but it's neat and fun to listen to. I can't listen to the whole thing over and over, but the few tracks I really love - I really love. Totally worth a listen if you've never played it through before. At the very least, check out my Top 3. You'll certainly enjoy those. Happy Friday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Frank Sinatra
2. Distance, The
3. Friend Is a Four Letter Word
4. Open Book
5. Daria
6. Race Car Ya-Yas
7. I Will Survive
8. Stickshifts and Safetybelts
9. Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps
10. It's Coming Down
11. Nugget
12. She'll Come Back to Me
13. Italian Leather Sofa
14. Sad Songs and Waltzes

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. The Distance
2. I Will Survive
3. Friend Is A Four Letter Word

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment