Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Heeeeeeeerrrreeee's Heidi!!!

I'm really more of a movie person than a music person, so when the B Side asked me to contribute, there was only one thing I could write about - the Soundtrack.

But, I'm not going to write about that now. Instead, I want to introduce myself. Hi . . . awkward pause . . . I'm Heidi, and I will be popping in on the B Side from time to time with comments on movie soundtracks and to sub in when the blog is left unattended. I just wanted to take this first post to describe my own personal pop culture philosophy. I think the easiest way to do that is to bear my soul, and tell you that my favorite movie is the Karate Kid and that my absolute all time favorite music group is Simon and Garfunkel (who, incidentally are no strangers to the movie soundtrack. I wonder what my first soundtrack post will be about. . . ?) Reactions?

Wow. Your judgment is palpable.

Let me explain, by no means do I think that the Karate Kid is the best movie ever made. But damnit, that endearing and sometimes unintentionally hilarious coming of age tale about mentorship and the triumph of the human spirit - that is entertainment! They don't make movies like that anymore, except for you know, the remake. And, right now, with all that our country has been through lately, that's all I want. I want to be entertained. I want joy. I want to watch Glee, and listen to the classic rock songs that I loved in middle school. I want to geek out with my friends and gush over how amazed I was by Paula Abdul at age six. Because, honestly, that's why I love pop culture, it's the random connections that our shared experiences create among us. That's why we read and write entertainment blogs. And, that's why I'm here.

So kids, why are you here? What do you love about music? What made you the type of person who reads a music blog? Please share.

5 comments:

  1. Great first post!

    Hmmm, soundtracks eh? So seriously my favorite soundtrack ever contains no lyrics.

    The soundtrack for Dark Knight (one of the best movies ever made) really makes the movie so amazing. I find myself hearing those incredible tones and it just intensifies the film even more than the acting and storyline do by themselves. Not sure if you've listened to it outside the film, but check it out.

    I'd love to hear your thoughts on that specifically, but also your opinion on how the soundtrack can make or break a film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q: What made me the type of person who follows a music blog?
    A: Google. I saw it start popping up in the Buzz or did I find on a Google profile page? Anyway, it is a great way to infuse some great music into the day to make it a little more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. . . Dark Knight. I'll have to check that out again and will pay more attention! I only saw that movie the one time, and was so blown away by the movie's awesomeness in the theater that to watch it at home seemed silly.

    It's definitely my intention to talk about scores used in movies - I have a list of my favorites. For example, Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story - epic score! And as for the music breaking a film - ugh, Taxi Driver. I hate to say it because I'm such a huge Scorsese fan, but I was so distracted by the music that I had a hard time getting into the film. But, more of this to come for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just have to say that paula abdul and color me badd was my first concert ever at summerfest in 1992. i was the happiest 8 year old ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula AND Color me Badd? Now that is a concert lineup! I'll have to stick to following Paula in trashy supermarket tabloids and watching Color Me Badd on old episode of 90210. I'm sad that I'll never see either live. Oh well, dream on . . . dream away.

    ReplyDelete