Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Taio Cruz - Rokstarr



New Music Tuesday and the pop day of the week align today with Taio Cruz's sophomore record. This is another example of a guy that worked behind the scenes for YEARS writing and producing music for other well known acts. Similar to Keri Hilson, Taio got a little tired of the credit hogging stars and decided to step up to the microphone. His original drop back in 2008 'Departure' only saw modest success and only in the United Kingdom. (He's from the UK) This album coincides with the release of his new clothing brand called Rockstar. The only thing I've heard of on that line is the sunglasses, and I've seen those being worn by people like Hilson, Kid Cudi and Kanye West. I might have to run out and pick up a pair for myself. Since I've thrown the Hilson comparison in there already, I think this experiment will end up about the same. Hilson hasn't received any acclaim for her record and I don't expect this to do much either. It's a pretty heavy pop record start to finish with a couple decent breaks from pop in the middle. This came out way back in Sept 09 in UK along with the clothing line release the same day. This is FINALLY getting to be dropped in the US, with our country having heard half the album already in the radio singles. This album makes me a little mad, since it does have the couple tracks that could really be solid, then it has tracks like 'Dirty Picture' which revert back to Ke$ha like qualities and make me not take it seriously. I'm guessing this will end up being a nice little fun project for Cruz, and he'll end up going back behind the scenes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this one has the staying power.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Dynamite
2. Break Your Heart
3. Dirty Picture
4. Take Me Back
5. I'll Never Love Again
6. I Can Be
7. No Other One
8. Come On Girl
9. Falling In Love
10. Higher
11. Feel Again

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Break Your Heart
2. I'll Never Love Again
3. Feel Again

FINAL RATING:
2.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment