Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, June 14, 2010

Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces



Monday brings to me another country review on the B Side. Today it's the Dixie Chicks per request from the good ol' Suggestion Box. Another plug for the box, please use it. I know it doesn't look 'pretty' right now, but I have my crack staff working hard on it. I'm confident that they'll have it up and running sometime in the next month. ;-) Anyway, to the Chicks...I don't know all that much about them. I was shocked to learn that they had been making music since 1990 and yet it seems this was their first breakthrough commercial record all the way in 1998. And this record has sold an AMAZING 12x platinum!! That's nuts. They have been in WAY too much controversy for a contemporary country band. First it was their music - they started off as a bluegrass type band - but decided to switch over to a more pop sound I guess for monetary gain. At least one member of the group took issue, and left after that. Then came the whole GW Bush thing. On stage at a show they were quoted to say, "Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." This was in response to the war in Iraq back in 2003. That one wasn't so easy to pull through, as a poll indicated that 76% of their fans then regretting buying their albums. Not good for business. Seems like their bigtime status has been removed since that incident, and then a couple smaller incidents since then. I will say that I had actually heard most of this album before - and wasn't impressed. Upon reviewing it again today, it's still not all that great. Certainly not 12 million copies worth. This isn't the worst country record I've heard - but also isn't worth listening to. If you're a country nut, I'm sure you'll love it. If you're a girl who likes pop music, you might enjoy it also. But a guy like me, it doesn't tickle my fancy.

TRACK LISTING:
1. I Can Love You Better
2. Wide Open Spaces
3. Loving Arms
4. There's Your Trouble
5. You Were Mine
6. Never Say Die
7. Tonight the Heartache's on Me
8. Let 'Er Rip
9. Once You've Loved Somebody
10. I'll Take Care of You
11. Am I the Only One (Who's Ever Felt This Way)
12. Give It Up or Let Me Go

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Wide Open Spaces
2. You Were Mine
3. I Can Love You Better

FINAL RATING:
2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment