Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, June 11, 2010

Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim



Yikes!! I've really let down my B Siders this week! No posts again yesterday - and I guess that was for two reasons. 1) I had a work outing at Miller Park to see the Brewers beat up on those silly Cubs. And 2) Windows ran an update on my home machine and decided to fail - and not load Windows anymore. Fun stuff. This just emphasizes my need for another writer, and hopefully I find someone really soon! Anyhow, I come in refreshed with one straight from the often imitated, never duplicated Suggestion Box. I have a feeling a guy named Penis McSmackerton didn't REALLY suggest this, but it was a good request nonetheless. I know many people who love some Croce, but I never really heard a lot of his stuff before. Here and there I'd hear samplings, but I've always meant to listen to more. Well, now is my chance! This request was Jim's third studio release and seems to have seen pretty good success via the Time in a Bottle track. Not sure that will make my Top 3 having listened a few times, but it's a pretty good song. He has a legacy that is actually quite amazing...almost Hendrix like. He only really made music for ~2 years and has a rock solid following. He died in a plane crash just after really hitting it big on the charts. It's a shame really, as I think he would have put more really good stuff out there. I guess re-check out this one if you've heard it already. If you haven't - it's certainly worth a go 'round.

TRACK LISTING:
1. You Don't Mess Around With Jim
2. Tomorrow's Gonna Be A Brighter Day
3. New York's Not My Home
4. Hard Time Losin' Man
5. Photographs And Memories
6. Walking Back To Georgia
7. Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)
8. Time In A Bottle
9. Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy)
10. Box #10
11. A Long Time Ago
12. Hey Tomorrow

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Walking Back To Georgia
2. You Don't Mess Around With Jim
3. Box #10

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. courtesy of my dad, i love me some jim croce. but this album didn't even include some of his greatest songs. to name a few: i'll have to say i love you in a song, bad boy leroy brown, i got a name, working at the car wash blues...i'd suggest you check those out!

    ReplyDelete