Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, June 25, 2010

Heidi Presents, "Friday Gut Check - The Beatles."

Thank you John Cusack. Thank you for One Crazy Summer. Thank you for Lloyd Dobler. Heck, I'll even thank you for Must Love Dogs, which was obviously made to be played on cable for audiences who are too bored or too hung over to change the channel on Saturday mornings. (Seriously, NOTHING in the history of film angers me quite as much as the grand finale make out scene in the grocery store at the end of that movie, but I have seen that movie more times that I think is okay to admit. Must love Christopher Plummer.)

But, most importantly, thank you for bringing High Fidelity to the big screen and for introducing to the masses the Top Five List. I'm fairly certain the B Side and I have wasted too many hours of our lives playing this silly game - top five Zeppelin songs, top five movies from the 90s, top five songs that are named after a person - the possibilities are endless.

So readers, let's play. It's not even close to an original blog idea, but it's always enjoyable, particularly on a Friday. Let's play Top Five Beatles songs. Please note that the first top five you list are it, no takebacks. No overthinking. Make your list and do it!

Here's my list, in no particular order.

Something - My God, this song is sexy. The opening guitar riff that's used throughout the song is pure rock and roll sex. It's hot, and I love it.

A Hard Day's Night - I love early Beatles, and the iconic opening chord of A Hard Day's Night helps this song to just barely edge out I Wanna Hold Your Hand's place on my list. Try listening to this without swaying your shoulders - it's impossible!

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Nothing gets me into more pop culture arguments than my irrational and obsessive love of this song. I don't know if it's the honky tonk piano or the raucous feel of the band not taking the song seriously, but this song makes me dance like a crazy person. It's a fun song that I associate with good times. It's a winner.

Eleanor Rigby - The dark and gothic opening of Eleanor Rigby announces that this song is going to be epic. And the rest of the track delivers, with the strings in the driver's seat of creepy melancholy.

Let It Be - I can't overanalyze this one - I'm just going to let it be.

Okay, let's hear it. Tear me to shreds, and share you ideas. Not a Beatles person? Not a problem. Share any top five list.

7 comments:

  1. My goodness! My posts are long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you comment on your own post!

    1.) Lady Madonna (#1, I love that song!)
    2.) I Am the Walrus
    3.) Hey, Jude
    4.) Let It Be
    5.) Hello Goodbye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo hard not to include Hey Jude and Hello Goodbye on my list! With the Beatles, five is just too few!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Penny Lane
    2. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    3. Yesterday
    4. All My Loving
    5. Blackbird

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is totally going off the top of my head, but here it goes:

    1. I Am The Walrus
    2. Hey Jude
    3. Eleanor Rigby
    4. Yesterday
    5. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite

    Walrus is simply amazing. The lyrics are flat out phenomenal.

    Hey Jude - come on. It's IMPOSSIBLE not to sing as loud as you can to it.

    I totally agree with your assessment of Rigby.

    Yesterday is just one of those songs. When you're down, it makes you feel the pain. When you're up, it makes you feel even better. That kind of emotion always gets me.

    Mr. Kite is one of those that most people don't know. I love it. Similar lyrics to Walrus but a different mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a Beatles fan so here's my top 5 Motion City Soundtrack songs:

    1 - Capital H
    2 - The Future Freaks Me Out
    3 - Red Dress
    4 - Pulp Fiction
    5 - Disappear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about my partner in crime, but I really don't know anything about MCS. You should suggest an album in the box, and I'll get to them.

    ReplyDelete