Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mojo



New Music Tuesday is back with Tom Petty. I don't think I need to go into too much background with him, since I think if you're unfamiliar with his previous work or style - you must have been hiding under a rock for the last what, 4 decades? The one cool thing about Tom that you might not know, is his desire to control the rights and manage his music. Most artists don't want to bog themselves down in the day to day - and they let a legal team take care of all that stuff. Well not Mr. Petty. He takes control of his pricing, distribution and even the legal matters involving sampling of old tracks. He's heard of other bands using riffs of his for their work (The Strokes, RHCP) and instead of being crotchety about it, he shrugs it off and tosses it into the rock and roll file. As long as it's not used with what he determines as malicious intent, then he has no reason to act. Kind of cool. I think many artists would have a lawyer approaching them with some big dollar signs and they'd immediately go after it and try to settle for big money. It's a crazy world we live in. Anyway, this is the five hundredth studio release for Tom (please know I'm joking). This being the first since 2002. Petty is performing with ZZ Top two days at the mainstage this year at Summerfest. I don't think I'd come anywhere near that show for the price they want. Especially when they're going to want to play this entire record, and not all old stuff. It's possible they'll even break it up, one day the new album next day the hits. I'd hate to have tickets to the 'new' show. Not to say this album is bad, it's just there is something more fun about going to a show and singing along with all the classics. Plus, I never found Petty to be a great performer anyway, seemed to lack the energy whenever I went. Regardless, check this out. It's got a folksy, blues feel to it. Petty fans will probably enjoy it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Jefferson Jericho Blues
2. First Flash of Freedom
3. Running Man's Bible
4. Trip To Pirate's Cove, The
5. Candy
6. No Reason To Cry
7. I Should Have Known It
8. U.S. 41
9. Takin' My Time
10. Let Yourself Go
11. Don't Pull Me Over
12. Lover's Touch
13. High In the Morning
14. Something Good Coming
15. Good Enough

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. No Reason To Cry
2. I Should Have Known It
3. Takin' My Time

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment