Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix



Some might call this weeks installation of 'Techno Tuesday' a stretch, but not this guy. Having now been introduced to Phoenix by a Suggestion from the awesome, somewhat still new, suggestion box, many sites have these guys listed as alternative or indie rock, but I don't hear that. They have a very electronic feel over more of a pop lyric. I'd certainly put them with other electronic type tracks though if I was making a playlist. So that's my classification - and deal with it. These gents are from France, and have been making music since 2000 or so. This is their most recent album, and it came out in 2009. I went back and briefly sampled some of their other stuff, and I think off the top of my head it would be safe to say that I'd enjoy this one the best. It's got a really different feel to it than the others. The songwriting and background arrangement is quite seemless track over track. I always like when you have the synth over a regular track. You don't have to look any further than number one to hear what could easily pass as a current punk/emo band and then add some nice electronics over the top, without the use of the dreaded autotune. Rarely do you get that with real techno/dance bands. I guess what I'm getting at is, I dig this. I'm not sure I'd rush out to the store to buy it, but I definitely would put it on from time to time. It's a little different, but give it a shot - I think you might be surprised too.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Lisztomania
2. 1901
3. Fences - (featuring Philippe Zdar)
4. Love Like a Sunset, Pt. 1 - (featuring Cedric Plancy)
5. Love Like a Sunset, Pt. 2 - (featuring Cedric Plancy)
6. Lasso
7. Rome
8. Countdown
9. Girlfriend
10. Armistice

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Fences
2. Love Like A Sunset Part 1 or 2
3. Girlfriend

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Shaqwanda McGillisJune 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM

    I love this album. I would've gone differently on the top 3.

    1 - Armistice
    2 - Rome
    3 - Lisztomania

    I'm glad you liked something I suggested...finally ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fences was awesome. And the 1 and 2 parts of Sunset were really cool too. Girlfriend I could be persuaded on, but I enjoyed it.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year later, I really like this album! I'm always behind!

    ReplyDelete