Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Nikka Costa - Everybody Got Their Something



B Side!! I'm back! Sorry for my temporary absence, I was doing some music research out in the Colorado area for the last week. I scoured the Red Rocks Theater near Denver and will be doing a write up on that quite soon. Big thanks to Heidi for filling in and doing some writing, she did a great job. Coming back on a Tuesday was fairly fitting for me, since that seems to always be the review day I look forward to most. New music and a fresh dance album. I'll start today with Techno Tuesday and Nikka Costa. 'Techno' is semi-misleading for her - as she's more of a pure vocalist, but many of the tracks here are electronic. So all in all, the title fits. If you do listen to this, it's kind of odd that it'll go from super quick dance track to slow ballad. But ehh....it's kind of a neat concept record if nothing else. Nikka grew up in Japan and was born onto a father that was a music producer. That meant she got her start very early in the biz, doing a callbo with Don Ho at an early age. She's been writing and singing her whole life, but this was her first real studio release in the year 2001. I will tell you that you more than likely should check it out. If you enjoy dance, there are a few tracks you'll like. If you like folk rock, there are a few tracks you'll like. If you like pop, there are...well, you get it. Really is a little something for everyone here, as the title may lead you to believe. Not a 5 star album by any stretch, but totally worth looking into. Happy to be back and Happy Tuesday B Siders!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Like a Feather
2. So Have I For You
3. Tug of War
4. Everybody Got Their Something
5. Nothing
6. Nikka What
7. Hope It Felt Good
8. Some Kind of Beautiful
9. Nikka Who?
10. Just Because
11. Push & Pull
12. Corners of My Mind (Hidden Track)
13. I Don't Want to Be the Rain (Bonus Track)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Like A Feather
2. Nothing
3. Everybody Got Their Something

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment