Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, June 21, 2010

Dierks Bentley - Up On The Ridge



Welcome back Monday. It's a bittersweet day for me, as I love coming back and writing on the blog - but who enjoys Monday? Ugh, coming back to work - longest possible time for the weekend to come back. It can be brutal. The music can be the only thing that keeps me going, so let's get to it! It's country day again at the B Side, and I decided to hit Dierks Bentley. I wanted to get to this review on June 8th, since it could have been part of New Music Tuesday. Problem was, the samples weren't available for you guys to pick up on. They are now, so here we go. Normally for an artist I don't know much about, I try to post a little background or odd things that have happened to the group. Well, for Dierks, nothing is really interesting. He's from Phoenix, moved to Nashville where he was discovered. He's married, has dogs that have been seen in his music videos. Yeah, that's about it. His sales to date are pretty meager. Two platinum records and one gold. This album is his fifth studio release, and I'm assuming will do fairly well. This album is very bluegrass type country, which as I read is very different than his other records. A change for the better per most critics, as it's fairly unanimous that this is a near 5 star record. I don't totally disagree with that remark, as it actually is pretty good. There is a Bob Dylan cover here and a U2 cover here that are both surprisingly good. I love Dylan and dislike U2, but both are tracks I'd actually actively listen to. Worth checking out B Siders, even if you're not a country fan. I think it's got a little something for everyone.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Up on the Ridge
2. Fallin' for You
3. Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)
4. Rovin' Gambler
5. Draw Me a Map
6. Bad Angel
7. Fiddlin' Around
8. You're Dead to Me
9. Pride (In the Name of Love)
10. Love Grows Wild
11. Bottle to the Bottom
12. Down in the Mine

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
2. Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
3. Down In The Mine

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Don't know if I'd buy it but some of the songs are pretty good. - Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to buy stuff unless you know you'll love it. I think I'd only buy a few tracks here and there on iTunes and not the whole record.

    Still better than I thought it'd be though!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete