Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Strokes - Is This It



I've decided to run a post/rant day today. Usually when I rant, it's just a one post day - but hey, I'm feeling festive. Plus, I had an odd amount of genre reviews and I was off by one. So I figured I'd hammer this one out today - plus, I love the Strokes! This album is really good - top to bottom. They only have 3 studio releases since 2001, with this being the first of that trio. Honestly, I have not heard any of their other stuff - so I'll have to get to that sometime soon. Style wise, I'm classifying them as a generic rock band, but they probably fit into other genres too. They're a little poppy on some tracks, and they have a very upbeat Brit Rock style to them too. They're not British - just have that feel to them. That's probably why they have a very large following in the UK. Anyway, this is another record to have faced some controversy. They originally had cover art of a nude woman seductively bent over with a black glove running down her hip. For some reason, they thought that it would be too risque in the states, and changed it to the microscope version you see above. They also had a track called "New York City Cops" that was changed due to the September 11 attacks against America. That track is now listed as "When It Started". Anyway, I think you'll enjoy this. It's got a great jam out feel to it. It has excitement around it that is very contagious. Check it out!!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Is This It
2. Modern Age, The
3. Soma
4. Barely Legal
5. Someday
6. Alone, Together
7. Last Nite
8. Hard to Explain
9. When It Started
10. Trying Your Luck
11. Take It or Leave It

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Last Nite
2. Someday
3. Soma

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. oh man i forgot all about new york city cops! i had that on my old compy in college but i bet i lost it when it crashed. i should look for that song right now. good call! that really is the only song for which i can truthfully say 'i forgot all about that song!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know about the album cover too? I recall hearing about it back in the day, but hadn't actually seen it. It's a pretty hot photo.

    ReplyDelete