Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Cars - Self Titled




Hump Day on the B Side brings me to a classic review. I was revisiting my Powerman 5k review this morning as Janis graciously commented with her thoughts on it. I was explaining how I only put 'Good Times Roll' on my Top 3 since I love the Cars so much. Well...that's when it hit me, BAM! Punch to the face. Why not do a Cars review? I mean, duh - it's only logical. So here I am, finally getting to one of my favorite bands ever. I'm not even sure why I enjoy them so much. I picked up their Greatest Hits album back in like 2005 and just fell in love. It's not that their sound is so unique, their beats haunt me or their lyrics just blow my mind - I guess this is as close to pop music as I get that I love. I mean, every song is incredibly catchy and makes you want to hear another...and another...and another. So I decided to run with their debut album, and the one that has outsold their other works by 2x platinum. Their self titled debut has now gone platinum 6 times over...not bad for a band that doesn't seem to get much recognition in any sort of best of conversation. This record was only 9 tracks deep, but nearly every one of them is on their GH compilation. Think about that. If you started a band and your debut record was that good, that 30 years later your fans knew every track on it and wanted them on your best of after retirement. That's incredible to me. They didn't stop making good music there either. They made great tuneage all the way through 1988 when they decided to split for good. I think it's unanimous that this album rocks the house, and you should most definitely listen to this today...I know I will!!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Good Times Roll
2. My Best Friend's Girl
3. Just What I Needed
4. I'm in Touch With Your World
5. Don't Cha Stop
6. You're All I've Got Tonight
7. Bye Bye Love
8. Moving in Stereo
9. All Mixed Up

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Moving In Stereo
2. You're All I've Got Tonight
3. Just What I Needed

FINAL RATING:
4.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I love this album. A lot. If you come to my house, this is probably on my record player.

    I heard this today. What do you think? It's Alkaline Trio covering Bye Bye Love.

    http://jessemack.tumblr.com/post/1656160431/alkaline-cars

    I like The Cars and I like Alkaline Trio. Not sure how I feel about them together. I feel like the cover is missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great album. One of my all time faves. Very undervalued. Seems like no one else ever listens to the Cars.

    I've heard that before - and I agree. Something isn't there. I've heard a variety of bands cover the Cars over the years, and none of them quite lived up to it. Smashing Pumpkins covered 'You're All I've Got Tonight' which I enjoy, but it's still not anything amazing.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete