Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Tryin'



Some of you rap enthusiasts might be sitting back and asking, why hasn't the B Side reviewed any 50 yet? Well let me explain. First and foremost, this record was the first - and way too overhyped. I don't know how many times in 2003 I heard 'In Da Club'. Ugh. Enough to this day - I still can't stand that song. This album isn't 100% bad, but that brings me to point number two. I also haven't gotten to 50 because quite frankly, he's not that great. I mean, he rode the coattails of Em and Dre for the first couple records, but his raps just aren't that solid. Compare his hardest flow with that of Em and it simply doesn't compare. And the next thing that really aggravated me was his feud with The Game, and Game's eventual release from Aftermath. Game is so MUCH better than 50 but egos got in the way of outstanding Game and Em based collabos. He walks around like he's got the rap game on lock, and he's just not worth that cockiness. I loved that feud with him and Kanye which 50 said he's retire if Graduation sold more than Curtis. Kanye blew him out of the water, and the 50 follow ups have all been garbage. This album was fine. I think 50 blew his lyrical load with this album though. All the great hits were on this album, and if it wasn't for a Justin Timberlake collabo, Curtis would have been just as awful. Even going back and listening to Massacre recently, it's just lacking in terms of quality. Yet, in terms of 50 projecting this intense swagger, that's still very apparent. I don't get it. He'll keep putting out albums, and less and less people will keep listening. That's just my take. If you feel nostalgic today, go ahead and pop this in. But don't be surprised if you think it's not nearly as fantastic as you thought it was 7 years ago.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Intro
2. What Up Gangsta
3. Patiently Waiting
4. Many Men
5. In da Club
6. High All the Time
7. Heat
8. If I Can't
9. Blood Hound
10. Back Down
11. P.I.M.P.
12. Like My Style
13. Poor Lil Rich
14. 21 Questions
15. Don't Push Me
16. Gotta Make It to Heaven

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. PIMP
2. Patiently Waiting
3. What Up Gangsta

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment