Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Great Northern - Trading Twilight For Daylight



Relax today with a little mood music. I'm in a really solid mood type mood today myself, so this is going to be right up my alley. Great Northern is a band that I first heard of back in the 2007-ish timeframe. 'Home' is one of my fave tracks to jam on every now and again. When I'm in that relaxed mode - putting on a band like this is simply perfect. These guys formed around 2005 or so when the lead singer of 30 Seconds To Mars was looking for a side project. They are based out of Los Angeles and recorded this album there behind the producer who worked with Queens of the Stone Age. The album actually dropped in May of 2007 and seeing modest results from a sales standpoint. What I love most about this band and this album are the vocals. Rachel Stolte's voice is mesmerizing for me. This is an album where the melodies are actually memorable, and make me want to come back for more. There are a couple tracks that stray from that mood type course, but overall - I think they still fit into the whole. I never really listened to this whole thing until today, and I'll say I'm impressed. Anytime you put incredible vocals over a slow, melodic piano - I'm going to be hooked. And this fits perfectly. You really should give this a shot. If you're gaga over this genre like I am, you'll enjoy it. I promise.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Our Bleeding Hearts
2. Just a Dream
3. Home
4. Telling Lies
5. Low Is a Height
6. City of Sleep
7. Sun a Sound, A
8. Into the Sun
9. Middle, The
10. Babies

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Home
2. City Of Sleep
3. A Sun A Sound

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment