Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, September 20, 2010

Nas - God's Son



Nas. Has there been an artist that has been so up and down? What I mean is, Nas will put out a record that will be considered one of the best hip hop albums of all time, then put two out that basically garbage. Oh, then he'll put out another classic. Very inconsistent. In terms of raps, I've always appreciated his ability to flow. And one of his better flows can be found on this album, in the track 'Made You Look'. He also showed his ability to capitalize on the hip hop/pop crossover in the track 'I Can'. Even my college roommate who only listened to country and pop enjoyed that track. My one big dig on Nas is his long lasting feud with Jay-Z. I understand as a more underground based New York artist, Nas would naturally gravitate toward dissing Jay. It makes sense from a beef standpoint. But you gotta understand, you're going after a monster. Jay is arguably the biggest hip hop artist of all time. I think if Biggie and Pac weren't to have died - they'd own that title - but since they are deceased, Jay is huge. Nas had to have known he was going to lose that battle. And some people wouldn't buy Nas stuff or even listen to it because of the Jay feud. And then no one wins. Anyway, this my friends is one of the Nas classics. Definitely one of my favorites by him, if not the best ever for me. Top to bottom, his records are never 5+ stars, but the really good ones flow so well and are a great listen. This is in that category. There are 3 or 4 tracks that blow my mind, then there are four or five weaker ones. But all together, still compile a pretty solid record. Check it out today..I'll fully concede that if you're not big into rap, this isn't for you. If you enjoy it, you'll like the album.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Get Down
2. Cross, The
3. Made You Look
4. Last Real N**** Alive
5. Zone Out
6. Hey Nas
7. I Can
8. Book of Rhymes
9. Thugz Mansion
10. Mastermind
11. Warrior Song
12. Revolutionary Warfare
13. Dance
14. Heaven

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Made You Look
2. Thugz Mansion
3. I Can

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments: