Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We?



How often is it that you get to review an Irish rock band? I only know of a handful, so I'm going to consider myself lucky today. When this dropped in 1993, I belonged to one of those infamous mail order cd places, BMG Music. You know, those where they'd send you a cd every month and if you didn't send it back, they charged you 77 dollars for an Elvis Costello record? But oh yeah, they'll give you 12 cd's free if you buy one. Anyway...this is one of the albums that I ordered - actually by error. Before the days of the internet, it wasn't as easy to know which songs were on what record. I picked this up because I thought it had 'Zombie' on it, so I was disappointed when I got it in the mail. 15 years later or so, I realize how great of a mix up that actually was, since I think this album is better. Something about hindsight and 20/20 I suppose. Sure this album is 5x platinum in the states and 'No Need To Argue' (the album Zombie is off of) is a better 7x platinum. Having a monster single will do that for you though. This was the Cranberries first studio release after dropping four EP's. Stunning that it saw so much success, as they were still relative unknowns until after 'No Need'. You have to remember what was big when this came out too. Everyone was on the Dr. Dre and Nirvana bandwagons, and this is obviously not those artists. I love their sound, and I hope they drop another record soon. I've listened to their first three albums and enjoyed all of them. So here is to picking this up again, and maybe to a new one. Enjoy and Happy Wednesday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. I Still Do
2. Dreams
3. Sunday
4. Pretty
5. Waltzing Back
6. Not Sorry
7. Linger
8. Wanted
9. Still Can't...
10. I Will Always
11. How
12. Put Me Down
13. Reason
14. Them
15. What You Were
16. Liar
17. Pretty (Remix)
18. How (Radical Mix)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Dreams
2. Linger
3. I Still Do

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. i think delores o'riordan has one of the best voices ever - not just amont chick singers or female fronted bands. i can't believe i never owned one of their albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great voice.

    I have this one...should have bought No Need also. I like that album.

    ReplyDelete