Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic



Ahh Aerosmith. I don't think it's any secret that similar to AC/DC - I feel Aerosmith is in a word, overrated. While I think they've been making some pretty solid music for gosh, spanning 4 decades, I don't feel that they are at all deserving of a 'best of' title for anything. I think this album is actually a perfect way to prove my thought. This album was the third studio release for Aerosmith, and it dropped in 1975. Now, this also happens to be their best selling album at 8x platinum. So if you've never heard a full length album by Aerosmith before, this would seem to be the best place to start right? I mean, if the masses dictate this is the best album by them available - logic would step in and say, sure - go ahead and give this a go. Well B Siders, this album isn't at all great. Sure, 'Walk This Way' is a solid track and the remix with Run DMC proved to be legendary in terms of crossing genres - and sure, 'Sweet Emotion' has a certain feel to it that makes you want to sing along. But then what? The rest of this album is mediocre at best, and in some cases downright bad. Now, I'll give big time credit to them for always mixing up their sound and trying new things. I think if you start with '70s stuff and then work your way up to 2000's stuff, you'll see they've mashed sounds to run with the times. They do a good job at catering to what they think the listener wants at the time. So sure, +1 to them. Beyond that, their music frankly isn't that good. Out of 14 total studio albums, there is probably enough great songs to make one amazing album. That's it. I'm sure I'll review more over the coming months/years/however long I keep doing this. But this isn't my favorite record, and neither is anything ever made by Aerosmith.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Toys in the Attic
2. Uncle Salty
3. Adam's Apple
4. Walk This Way
5. Big Ten Inch Record
6. Sweet Emotion
7. No More No More
8. Round and Round
9. You See Me Crying

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Sweet Emotion
2. Walk This Way
3. Uhh, I guess I'll go with No More No More

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment