Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MIMS - Music Is My Savior



Time for another rap review. This slot was supposed to go to Lil Wayne and his 'I'm Not A Human Being' album. Problem is, that album came out only for download this week, and the actual record is coming out in a couple weeks. So in the mean time, I realized I've never shared MIMS with you guys! (Don't be upset, but this is going to be another cherry picked hip hop record I enjoy) Shawn Mims is the real name - and he's a New York based rapper. He hasn't done a whole lot, this was his first album release and it came in 2007. I'm guessing all of you have heard the track 'This Is Why I'm Hot' and probably played it very loud in your car back in the day. He's only sold about 300k copies in the US, which is semi surprising. 'Hot' was such a huge single in 2007, but it goes to show you, if you want a multi platinum record, you have to have two big tracks. The next single (and only other single) was 'Like This' which is not going to be in my Top 3. Other than those two tracks, there are some real gems here. What I love about this is the flow. MIMS comes out hard right away with the Intro. Normally, I wouldn't put a one minute track in my top 3, but it's that good. He starts off running over some slow piano, telling a story - them BAM! He smacks you in the face with some sick flow. There are a couple other tracks like that too. Where you sit back and listen and then think "damn!" he just hit it out of the park. If you are even the most modest of rap fans, check this out. If you listen to this in full and don't enjoy at least 4 tracks - I'll be stunned. Happy Hump Day B Siders!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Intro
2. It's Alright
3. This Is Why I'm Hot
4. Girlfriend's Fav MC
5. Where I Belong
6. Cop It
7. Big Black Train
8. They Don't Wanna Play
9. Like This
10. Just Like That
11. Without You
12. Superman
13. This Is Why I'm Hot
14. Doctor Doctor
15. Don't Cry (Outro)
16. I Did You Wrong (Bonus Track)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Intro
2. Cop It
3. Doctor Doctor

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment