Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stone Sour - Audio Secrecy



New Music Tuesday jumps into the limelight today with Stone Sour. Similar to the techno review today - I can't say I know a ton about SS except a couple singles. Once upon a time I heard the track 'Bother', and it blew my mind. I went to the only store that I could get to, Wal-Mart, but alas they didn't have the record. I must have played that track on loop for a solid week before I moved on. Beyond that, I think I've heard a couple tracks on the radio, but nothing I could immediately identify. In case you aren't aware, these guys are a metal band that formed in Des Moines, Iowa. They formed in 1992 - and played smaller shows for 5 years, before the lead singer and the backup vocalist left to join Slipknot. Stone Sour then reunited in 2002 and dropped their first album. This album is now their third studio recording, and the first two have seen modest (gold status) success in the states. That's not a dictation of the bands talent and sound, more of less poor marketing and not many radio hits. What can I say about this album? A couple times through now, and I've heard a couple tracks that seem to be very memorable. Otherwise, it seems somewhat mediocre in total. Or maybe average is a better word? Perhaps this is why the other works didn't sell so well too. Who knows. Anyway, it opens up with an outstanding piano ballad which I love. Track 4 is the lone single off the album so far, which makes sense as it has that power metal type feel to it. Other than the opener, I think my favorite tracks come at the end, as the album finishes quite strong. I'd say it's totally worth checking out. Even if you're not huge on showing your metal, you might enjoy a couple tracks. Enjoy!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Audio Secrecy
2. Mission Statement
3. Digital (Did You Tell)
4. Say You'll Haunt Me
5. Dying
6. Let's Be Honest
7. Unfinished
8. Hesitate
9. Nylon 6/6
10. Miracles
11. Pieces
12. Bitter End, The
13. Imperfect
14. Threadbare

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Imperfect
2. Audio Secrecy
3. The Bitter End

FINAL RATING:
3.25 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. i submit that corey taylor (main vocals, jim root the guitarist is also of slipknot) has one of the best voices in metal ever. stone sour, like slipknot, put on a fantastic show. but they are completely different from slipknot. i am going to try to obtain this album from someone.

    i think stone sour probably hasn't seen as much commercial success because of the huge popularity of slipknot (even though everyone in slipknot has a million side projects - see joey jordison) (and stone sour did win a grammy...) stone sour is probably viewed by most as a side project for corey taylor and jim root, which i don't think is accurate. who knows what will happen now though with the death of paul gray in slipknot, maybe slipknot will be on a longer hiatus and the 'side projects' will get more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I knew both were in Slipknot. And I love his voice as well. Off the top of my head, I'd bring up Jonathon Davis...and that's about it. I did enjoy this record, as the bits and pieces of Stone Sour I've heard in the past.

    One can hope this band gets more attention, because I think they make good tuneage. We'll see what happens in the near future. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete