Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ataris - So Long Astoria



Thursday is shaping up nicely on the B Side. First we've got a punk rock style review in the Ataris. I recently was turned on to this band, as I've never heard a ton by them. I mean, I'd heard of them before, and I recall them covering Don Henley's 'Boys Of Summer' a while back. But that's about all I'd heard from them. These guys are from Indiana, and they're another one of those bands that hasn't been around super long, but still have gone through 700 members already. Sad part, that's only a slight exaggeration. This was their first release on Columbia records, a much bigger label than the previous Kung Fu Records. This record is certified gold and the title is a play on the film 'Goonies' which was set in Astoria, Oregon. Harsh critics talk about how this album is bad because it's trying to tell a story, but the story doesn't come across as real - but a mash up of different life stories between music, movies and maybe actual band experiences. I'm not going to look that deep into it, but rather take it at face value - which this is a pretty okay record. I don't think I'll put it on often, but there are a couple tracks that I groove on. They could have mixed it up just a bit more for me - I like the acoustic track at the end, but I think it could have sprinkled in the middle for some variety. They have a very similar sound to many other bands out there - but if you're into that kind of music, my guess is you'll love this. Happy Thursday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. So Long, Astoria
2. Takeoffs and Landings
3. In This Diary
4. My Reply
5. Unopened Letter to the World
6. Saddest Song
7. Summer '79
8. Hero Dies in This One
9. All You Can Ever Learn Is What You Already Know
10. Boys of Summer
11. Radio # 2
12. Looking Back on Today
13. Eight of Nine
14. I Won't Spend Another Night Alone
15. The Saddest Song (Acoustic)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. The Saddest Song
2. My Reply
3. The Boys Of Summer

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment