Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up The Girl



To be honest with you guys, I never cared for the Goo Goo Dolls. Not really sure what about them strikes me the wrong way, but they're just not for me. I've actually heard people list these guys as their favorite band ever - which is semi staggering. I think some of their music is okay - but for the most part, this was about as poppy as mid 90's alt rock-ish, punk bands got. I think Goo tried to carve out a good niche given the time, and they succeeded. Anyway, they formed way back in 1986 in Buffalo. Their first three records came out in an independent, and didn't really see any success. They then signed with Warner, and starting shooting to the moon. 'A Boy Named Goo' dropped in 1995 and really put them on the map. When 'Name' came out on the radio, it was an instant success. I chose to review this record over that one, simply because it is their best selling - at a surprisingly meager 3x platinum. For a band that everyone else seemed to enjoy, you'd think they'd have more copies sold. This album didn't lack the hits either. It's been 12 years since it came out, but I can still remember hearing a handful of these on the radio. If you've never heard them, sound wise I guess I'd put them in the pop category - but with some punk rock style guitar work and drum work. Lyrically, pretty pop heavy. Maybe they're more of a chick band? You know, like a boy band or something? Hmm, maybe that's it. Regardless, going back to this a decade plus later, it's still not for me. Toss it on again if you feel nostalgic, otherwise toss in one of your faves today.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Dizzy
2. Slide
3. Broadway
4. January Friend
5. Black Balloon
6. Bullet Proof
7. Amigone
8. All Eyes on Me
9. Full Forever
10. Acoustic #3
11. Iris
12. Extra Pale
13. Hate This Place

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Iris
2. Slide
3. Black Balloon

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed the Goo Goo Dolls. They kind of remind me of how I feel about U2. I like what they put out, enjoy listening to it, but kind of forget they exist most of the time. I have seen them live a few times and they put on a decent show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind hearing their stuff on the radio, I just don't seek it out. I guess in my world, that means I don't care for them very much.

    I'd suspect most people have at least one song on their media playing device, but I don't. Never even thought about downloading a track by them.

    I agree with the U2 analogy too. I never pick up their stuff, but I'll listen if it comes on radio.

    ReplyDelete