Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill



Man do I love when I get to hip/hop day. As all of my devotees know, I probably listen to rap overall more than any other genre. When I finally get to that review, I'm like a kid in the candy store. I strum through my collection trying to decide which gem to drop on the B Side world! Seems like many of you aren't big on rap, so I seriously hope you give some of these albums a chance. Most of them I think you'll enjoy - even if you generally hate rap. Beasties are probably the easiest rap to listen to. Most of the major issues folks have with hip/hop - the lyrical content, inability to understand lyrics, crude remarks about women and the idea of promoting killing - Beastie Boys have none of that stuff. I can't immediately come up with a song I remember them cursing in, and they usually talk about "fun" stuff as opposed to other artists out there. Personally I have no problems with an artist expressing themselves to the fullest - and I feel the Beasties do that without having to talk about anything rough. This is far and away my favorite record by them, and has a lot of songs that many of you would recognize. You watch these guy perform or even on some of the videos, and they look like such nerds from your local high school - but they survived over two decades in the rap game. They garnered a ton of respect from current artists and even paved the way for a guy like Eminem to drop onto the scene. You HAVE TO check this one out today. No question your hump day will be over in what seems like an hour if you toss this on!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Rhymin & Stealin
2. New Style, The
3. She's Crafty
4. Posse in Effect
5. Slow Ride
6. Girls
7. Fight for Your Right
8. No Sleep Till Brooklyn
9. Paul Revere
10. Hold It Now, Hit It
11. Brass Monkey
12. Slow and Low
13. Time to Get Ill

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Brass Monkey
2. No Sleep Till Brooklyn
3. Paul Revere

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment