Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, April 2, 2010

Taylor Swift - Fearless



TGIF!! Today, Friday yields a country review from The B Side. Today's ear candy is Taylor Swift. I find myself running through this record as recommended by one of my followers. As stated in the previous blog entry, recommending tuneage is much appreciated. I always look forward to sampling new music. Anyway moving on to Fearless, this has some ups and downs for me. It has much less of a country feel to it than a 'mood' type feel. I really enjoy that type of music. Check out my Blue Merle review from a few months ago, and some of the music sounds very similar to that. There are a couple poppish tracks, but those aren't the worst in the world. Much of the background is an acoustic guitar and simple vocals which I absolutely love. There is no denying that she has a really good voice. Those are all the good things. A couple bad things, a lot of the songs sound similar. That isn't always a bad thing, as I equate that to Green Day's 'Dookie' where every track could have been the exact same, but it was amazing. This one, they tend to run together for me a little in a dull sort of way. It could have just been my mindset at the time though. I'm going to give this another couple chances, as I think it has potential. What I'd really like to see is Taylor Swift collabo with a really good rock band or even a rapper. I could really see Swift on a Kanye West (well if they ever make up) record or the next Jay album. All in all, it surpassed my expectations - and I'll have to check out her other album sometime.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Fearless
2. Fifteen
3. Love Story
4. Hey Stephen
5. White Horse
6. You Belong With Me
7. Breathe - with Colbie Caillat
8. Tell Me Why
9. You're Not Sorry
10. Way I Loved You, The
11. Forever & Always
12. Best Day, The
13. Change

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. You're Not Sorry
2. Change
3. You Belong With Me

FINAL RATING:
3.25 out of 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I am amazed you didn't hate it! I thought Pop & Country would be too much!
    My Top 3:
    White Horse
    Love Story (but I hate the remix)
    You're Not Sorry

    And didn't you know she did a song with T-Pain, Thug Story. Check it out... :)

    HAPPY FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really not poppy though. At least in my couple go round's with it I didn't notice. Honestly, with the slow guitar and the a couple tracks were just arranged with the piano background, the songs were all pretty good. Fifteen and You Belong were the only ones I've heard on the pop airwaves I guess, and they probably fit the bill there.

    I have no idea she did something with T Pain. Is it actually worth checking out? I really hate T Pain... I only have two more reviews from you...you'll have to hit me up with more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get too excited about T-Pain... it was a SNL skit!

    OK... here's another great summertime soundtrack:
    Rodney Atkins - If You're Going Through Hell
    ("These are My People" was Corey Hart's at bat song a couple years ago!)

    And I have been listening to:
    David Nail - I'm About to Come Alive
    Blake Shelton - Startin' Fires (it's only a 6-Track Album)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...point noted.

    I'll put the rest of those on my list. Anything that Corey Hart endorses has to be terrible. ;-)

    At some point too, you'll have to let me know what albums (if any) you hadn't heard before that you liked after reading about them here. Since you seem to be mostly country, I'd be curious if any other genres have caught your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sorry...i've wanted to say this along time, but how many songs can you write about teeny love stories and high school. it gets old after a while. plus, her voice is clearly the weakest part of her music...i'm pretty sure they have determined that she can't really sing, but she sure can write catchy songs. (if you like that sort of thing).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! This record didn't have the catchy songs on it that most 'pop' stars would have. If we're going strictly on talent, look at what Swift does in comparison to Ke$ha. She has way less of a voice and she isn't a good enough artist to write her own material. She just takes someone elses gems and converts them into crap.

    Maybe try listening to this whole album and see what you think. If you're heard the radio type tunes, I can see why you think it's all popish.

    ReplyDelete