Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Randy Travis - Storms Of Life



Get your big jug, washboard and a set of spoons - it's Country day! Confession to make though, I wanted to do Garth Brooks, but apparently he doesn't allow any website to post samples of his tuneage. So one of my followers suggested Randy Travis this week. I'm on my second go round with this record as I'm typing - so far, not so good. I think this is why I have issues with country genre in general. Most of the songs to me sound exactly the same. They all seem to have that (how do you describe it), for lack of a better word - beat. One bass, one snare - over and over and over again. For some reason - that repetition really gets to me. Between that and the vocals also staying the same - he pretty much sings monotone with the exception of maybe showing the range of about 3 notes on the mic. This seriously reminds me of my Grandmother listening to Conway Twitty in the car when I was a kid, and thinking about opening the door and making a break for it on a busy interstate. Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but this isn't the music for me. I'm confident I'd like Garth Brooks more than this, as the album I intend to review I've listened to once already. If this isn't indicative of Mr. Travis's normal work - let me know and I'll pick up something else. Right here and right now, I can't wait to move on to the next review.

TRACK LISTING:
1. On the Other Hand
2. Storms of Life, The
3. My Heart Cracked (But It Did Not Break)
4. Diggin' Up Bones
5. No Place Like Home
6. 1982
7. Send My Body
8. Messin' with My Mind
9. Reasons I Cheat
10. There'll Always Be a Honky Tonk Somewhere

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Storms Of Life
2. On The Other Hand
3. 1982

FINAL RATING:
1.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Storms of Life is awesome! I still love as much as I did when I first heard it 24 years ago. It's what brought me to country music. Why don't you try Randy's latest album, Around the Bend? I think I love it as much if not more than Storms of Life. He does a cover of Bob Dylan's song, Don't Think Twice, It's Alright. Unbelievably good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Anonymous, thanks for the feedback!

    First and foremost, just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean it isn't good. Although I'm very open minded to different music, this type of country just doesn't tickle my fancy. I will most certainly review 'Around the Bend' sometime in the very near future for Country day! And thanks for the request!

    I'm slowly getting more and more comfortable with country though, as I surprised myself with enjoying Lady Antebellum and even some Taylor Swift. I'm a HUGE Johnny Cash fan and am willing to give any artist a shot.

    Keep the comments and requests coming!

    ReplyDelete