Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rodney Atkins - If You're Going Through Hell



Apologies have been owed to country fans for the last few genre posts I've done. The country reviews have been less than stellar over the last month or so. Everyone knows I'm not a big fan - but I try to be extremely open minded. Even when it comes to country music, I sit back - listen to every track and try to drift into the music. Especially with country, I feel like it's about telling a story, and when I'm drifting away - I should be able to feel like I'm a part of the story. I want to make it clear I don't give this stuff bad ratings because I have some sort of bias - and I also want to be clear that just because it's not for me, it could still be really good music. Having said all that, here comes Rodney Atkins. I know nothing about this fella, other than this was his best selling record of all time. He only has 4 albums released, and this is the sole record that went platinum. What is semi crazy is singles were dropped from this in 3 different calendar years. That's really a long time to not put anything else out. Fans who bought the album probably felt gypped when listening to the radio. Anyway, I'll give this one a little credit for changing styles. Although the voice is monotone, Atkins makes a nice effort to switch up the arrangements which is good on the ear. I feel like some of the lyrics on this album are trying to really serious and contemplative, but they feel phony to me - and I'm not really sure why. I just don't get the wave wash over me that this is really what he might be facing in life. Who knows. Well, check it out if you like country - and let me know what you think of it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. These Are My People
2. About the South
3. Watching You
4. Cleaning This Gun (Come On In Boy)
5. In the Middle
6. Man on a Tractor
7. Wasted Whiskey
8. Invisibly Shaken
9. Angel's Hands
10. If You're Going Through Hell

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Invisibly Shaken
2. About The South
3. These Are My People

FINAL RATING:
2.25 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. IDEA: maybe instead of starting every country post with how much you dislike country put a little disclaimer at the end or make a little "Not My Taste" crest you overlap on the album cover or something.

    Anyway... I do know this about Rodney Atkins: he's a great hugger! He did a small concert at Kelly's Bleachers II (in wind Lake) for $20 and less than 100 people before he got really popular. It is in my top 10 concerts I've been to! I am disappointed that they are still putting tracks from this album out on the radio as if they are new. I would like see another album released. But I like Rodney... I think it's his deep melodic voice (like James Otto) and his fast songs are great for sunny weather and camping dance parties/sing alongs. Ahhhh... memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen!

    I was trying to say basically that in this post. And saying just because this isn't for me, doesn't mean it isn't still really good music. It isn't even so much that I dislike country, moreso just that I never was introduced to it until starting the blog.

    Why don't more artists do that? Something like that show where it may not have even been he greatest music or what have you, it was memorable because it was a more intimate show that you felt was more personal. Such a neat idea. I was hoping to get some feedback on that. Since I was doing the research, it was crazy that 3 years spanned singles. Don't think I've ever seen that before!

    ReplyDelete