Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, April 26, 2010

Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets



If you found yourself in the high school phase around the mid to late 90's, you know how huge DMB was and is to this day. People flocked from everywhere in the country to see them play at Alpine and maybe you even had a friend or two follow them around the country. Well B Side fans, I don't get it. I mean, their music is good, this album is actually VERY good - but come on. I don't feel DMB has provided tuneage that will go down in the history books as some of the greatest ever. They do put on a good show, which I guess could be the reason why people always want to go. They had two records previous to this one, but 'Streets' is easily my favorite. The two tracks I listen to most happen to be on this record. Do I need to attempt to explain their style to anyone? I guess I'll say - if you have never heard DMB, pick this album up. Most of you probably heard this and every other album they've created, as they seem to be one of those bands. Maybe I'll suck it up and go to another show one of these days just so I have something else to write about. Maybe...we'll see. Until I make my mind up on that...enjoy this one as it should ease your case of the Mondays.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Pantala Naga Pampa
2. Rapunzel
3. The Last Stop
4. Don't Drink The Water
5. Stay (Wasting Time)
6. Halloween
7. The Stone
8. Crush
9. The Dreaming Tree
10. Pig
11. Spoon

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Crush
2. The Last Stop
3. Don't Drink The Water

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I never saw why they were so popular in high school! I think that I actually avoided their music because it was so popular, but now I can appreciate it a little more. I finally went to my first show last summer. I still don't get the cult following they get but I will say this: their drummer and saxophone players are A-MAZING!! The concert was worth it... because I got a free ticket. Would I spend $50+ on them yearly? Probably not, but get me another free ticket and I'd be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really avoid it, just got really sick of it. Everytime I went to someones house or was in a car, DMB was playing. I didn't really enjoy it because it was forced down my earhole every 10 minutes. Sax man is outstanding. Totally agree there. And I would definitely go for free. Heck, I'd go to pretty much any concert for free! Maybe I can become super famous with the blog and bands will want me to come for free for the review! If that happens and I get two tickets, JenInTosa you'll be my plus one for DMB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sadly, their sax-man - leroi moore - died like two years ago? after an atv accident. when they tour now, i think they usually have the bald white guy from bela fleck cover brass duties. they're all very talented musicians, and boyd tinson - the fiddle player - even put out his own solo album. their shows are huge because they don't play just the radio hits. they play fan favorites and hits and excellent covers. when they do two shows in a row - like at alpine valley every year - the set list different for both nights. when most bands go on tour, they have the standard 90 minute play list, maybe spiced up with one or two different songs each night. i think its pretty common for DMB to play completely different lists from night to night - which is a lot of material to keep current on. that alone is impressive to me. last year's show was FOUR HOURS. now, there was probably a good 90 minutes of jamming added on to the songs, but that's still a power show. the longest ive seen even metallica play is two hours.

    i think they're so big because the music and shows appeal to alot of different types - the pop girls who totalllly love that song 'satellite' omg its my faaaaave, the dudes with the popped collars trying to get with the aforementioned girls, the hippies who can't see phish anymore, music fans who appreciate talent, etc.

    i think i would agree that this is one of the best albums, as it does have most of my favorite songs on it. crush is great, i love rapunzel, don't drink the water is great (featuring alanis morrisette!), and the last stop is good. with the exception of crush and dont drink the water, i think the live versions you can find are usually better than the album versions. for some DMB songs, the live version blows the album version out of the water. the song warehouse - austin, you should find the livetrax version that was recorded at alpine valley and compare that to the album version. the livetrax version is so kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah...I hadn't heard that. That's a bit of a bummer.

    So, I totally agree with you. I think they make music that does indeed appeal to a lot of different groups. My problem was back in the day simply that I heard them too much, and got sick of them. I listen to their music in my current, more mature state - and realize that they do have good tunes. Typically not a fan of the more poppy ones still, but really groove to especially this album that is virtually pop free. I've already ranted about how much I love when good bands do covers. I think it's such a great way to "give thanks" back to those who inspire you. I don't really care for their 'Watchtower' rendition, but I know a lot of folks do.

    I will get on that livetrax thingy. If I find it and enjoy it, I'll be sure to post about it! Thanks for the GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can send you a copy of the livetrax. and i, too, think i am still sick of hearing 'crash' and 'satellite' and 'the space between' which is why im glad they dont play just those songs at their shows. and when they do, i finish my drink and start mocking all the squealers going 'OMGZZZZ BECKA THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG!!!!' while i head back for another beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the way to go...just tune out the stuff you dislike. If they put on a 4 hour show, there is less pressure to play just the poppy tracks for the general fans.

    ReplyDelete