Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere



Sometimes I whole heartedly disagree with genre classification. This is one of those cases. I see a lot of sites list Gnarls as hip hop/rap - no way. Some show this album as alternative - no way. This to me is a pop record through and through. So if you're a pop music fan, this review is for you. If you disagree with my genre classification, let me know about it. I put it there since the way the album is laid out, the lyrics and the general feel for it. I think the reason a couple sites list it as alternative is simply because it doesn't fit into any other genre. I have a problem lumping everything into alt just because it isn't any standard classification. Anyway, this record is pretty solid. I know some people really went gaga over it - and I wouldn't put myself in that venue. I think it's really good, I think it's really different - but I wouldn't tell you to rush out and buy it. There are a few good tracks including a Violent Femmes cover in 'Gone Daddy Gone'. I hear Gnarls puts on a flat out, amazing show. Maybe sometime I'll hit one up and have more respect for them. One more album exists called 'Odd Couple' - but I've never heard any of it. I'll get to it someday - but until then toss this back on. If nothing else, jam out to Crazy one more time.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Go-Go Gadget Gospel
2. Crazy
3. St. Elsewhere
4. Gone Daddy Gone
5. Smiley Faces
6. Boogie Monster, The
7. Feng Shui
8. Just a Thought
9. Transformer
10. Who Cares?
11. Online
12. Necromancing
13. Storm Coming
14. Last Time, The


Listen To Samples


Top 3 Tracks:
1. Crazy
2. Gone Daddy Gone
3. Smiley Faces

FINAL RATING:
3.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment