Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Van Halen - Self Titled



For some odd reason, I have gotten turned onto Van Halen again lately. I've been going from STP to Radiohead to Van Halen in fairly consistent rotation. Anyway, I won't claim to be on the Van Halen superfan bandwagon, but I always enjoyed them from time to time. Since I don't have a certain record that sticks out in my head as better than the rest, I'll start from the beginning. When I think of '70s music, Van Halen wouldn't even enter into my thought process. This came out in '78, when I envision the world was still jamming to Zeppelin, Floyd and still trying to understand why Jimi died. I think of VH as an 80's band through and through. Clearly that isn't the case, and if I was alive to live in it - I'd probably know Van Halen was around and kicking. These guys are really into heavy guitar, and solid vocals from no matter who is behind the mic. Eddie Van Halen has to be in the discussion for best guitarist of all time, and that shows brightly with 'Eruption'. What impresses me about them too, is some of the songs actually have some substance. It's not like AC/DC where the lyrics are irrelevant on most tracks and the music is all that matters. I respect that. Check Van Halen out, I think you'll enjoy their tuneage. If you listen and this record isn't for you, grab a different one. I think eventually you'll find something you like.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Runnin' with the Devil
2. Eruption
3. You Really Got Me
4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
5. I'm The One
6. Jamie's Cryin'
7. Atomic Punk
8. Feel Your Love Tonight
9. Little Dreamer
10. Ice Cream Man
11. On Fire

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Runnin With The Devil
2. Eruption
3. Ice Cream Man

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

5 comments:

  1. ice cream man all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PANAMA! FOR LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Panama happens to be one of my favorite Van Halen tunes! I'll get to that album soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget the song Little Dreamer for the TOP TRACKS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...been a while since I reviewed this one!

    LOVE the whole album. Should probably have rated it higher.. I gotta fire that guy!

    ReplyDelete