Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, March 26, 2010

Outkast - Aquemini



So with hip hop being my sweet spot, I think I tend to review it a little less often on the blog than I should. I'm so conscious of trying to expand peoples horizons that I'm mainly just expanding my own. My reviews bounce around so much one to the next in terms of style, that I seem to forget that many of you guys don't listen to much rap. Outkast is one of those groups that even non hip hop enthusiasts can jive to. They've got the beats, flow and lyrics that make big fans drool and then the same ideals go behind what makes them great to non hip hap fans. Anyone can put on an Outkast record and instantly get up and dance to it, or even sing along. They typically don't have any super offensive lyrics to women, they don't just talk about killing people or how hard jail was. They're just wordsmiths on the mic that have a flow unparalleled by maybe anybody but Bone Thugs. This record in particular always gets the crowd moving. I remember when Rosa Parks dropped, everyone on the planet knew who these guys were. I was going to review ATLiens first since that's my personal fave, but this record really put them on the map for good. And this way, if you didn't know what you were listening to before, you can match the song with the artist here. You can even go out and buy this one, I promise you'll love it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Hold On, Be Strong
2. Return of the "G"
3. Rosa Parks
4. Skew It on the Bar-B
5. Aquemini
6. Synthesizer
7. Slump
8. West Savannah
9. Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 1)
10. Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 2)
11. Mamacita
12. Spottieottiedopaliscious
13. Y'All Scared
14. Nathaniel
15. Liberation
16. Chonkyfire

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Da Art Of Storytellin' 1 AND 2 (Listen to them back to back, it's better that way)
2. Rosa Parks
3. Skew It On The Bar-B

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. this reminds me of the cover of George Clinton's: Greatest Funkin' Hits. Funny because I didn't even know that he had a little something to do with this record until I wiki'd Clinton.

    Here's the link to a picture of it

    http://www.amazon.com/George-Clinton-Greatest-Funkin-Hits/dp/B000002TYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a very similar feel. George Clinton was always really big with rappers. East or West coast. I remember his 'Bop Gun' track with Ice Cube. Great stuff.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete